Installing 2 hard drives now or wait?

faive123

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Hi. I am making a little upgrade in my PC switching to a SSD drive (Samsung 830) and having a 3TB Seagate Barracuda for storage. My case is a Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mid-Tower Gaming Case CC600T.
Anyway, the guy that helped me built my PC is installing me those drives but as I know it would be matter of time (aprox 6 months) to fill those 3TB to avoid the hassle to call him again I was thinking about installing alreadly another 3TB hard drive just to be ready. Is this a good idea? My concern is that these additional hard drive would be absolutely ununsed for some months and I don't know if having it just at idle would shorten it's life? I know the best way to do it is just wait to fill the first drive and then add the second but even tough I know it shouldn't be that hard even for an unexperienced user like me, as I said before, I would like to have it already installed.
What do you think? Suggestions? Thank you very much!!

Solution

Hi again,

No, there's nothing to worry about having them "in stock". They don't wear or age just being there. The wear occurs with starting and stopping, spinning, and head movement, all of which aren't a factor for you. When I set up a computer, and have say an extra HDD to use later, I don't connect the power cable so it's just there. If you were to connect the power cable, then even though you didn't use it for data storage, it would wear in starting, spinning...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Installing the > 2.2GB HDD's can be tricky, and a lot depends on your BIOS, OS, drivers and hard drive. For example the Seagate 3 TB HDD is set up to inately present you with a 2.2TB and 800GB separate disks rather than a single large volume. The 2 TB drives are easy because NTFS can address them.

Here is a good article on "Everything you want to know about 3TB HDDs" that might help in your decision

http://www.pcworld.com/article/235088/everything_you_need_to_know_about_3TB_hard_drives.html

faive123

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Thank you very much for your ideas and suggestions. About my question in terms of affecting the lifespan or durability of the second 3TB storage drive being not used in the forthcoming 6-8 months and just staying there on my PC, should I be concerned about it? Thanks!

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi again,

No, there's nothing to worry about having them "in stock". They don't wear or age just being there. The wear occurs with starting and stopping, spinning, and head movement, all of which aren't a factor for you. When I set up a computer, and have say an extra HDD to use later, I don't connect the power cable so it's just there. If you were to connect the power cable, then even though you didn't use it for data storage, it would wear in starting, spinning all day, and stopping. You can hook up the SATA data cable if you want, because it is mute when the electronics are sleeping.

Solution

faive123

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012

Thank you very much for your answer. I'm going to follow your advise!