Good results so far with pair of RAID 0 120gb SSD's

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I kept debating what to do about the OS drive on my system running the oldest components (Athlon II X3 on a SATA II mobo)- I had a Kingston V200 SSD running the OS, but I had a faster Intel 330 120gb left from an upgrade that I wanted to make use of. Debated swapping, running them as separate drives, or trying a RAID array for the first time. I know that TRIM is not enabled with the RAID option, but I figured that with two SSD's that have both seen plenty of use already anyway, I didn't have much to lose. Alone, the CrystalMark Read/Write for the V200 was always around 200mb/s read and 135mb/s write. The Intel would come out around 220mb/s read and 125mb/s write. After quite a bit of learning on the fly in terms of what I was doing, I got everything booting smoothly and configured as it should be again. Crystalmark now shows 275mb/s read and the same 275mb/s write. That's a huge bump in write speed and a reasonable gain in read performance as well. 4k benchmarks improved around 20-25% as well, but the exact numbers are escaping my memory for the moment.

I just want to know how quickly/severely I can expect to see performance deteriorate over time without TRIM, and if there is anything that I can do to help the issue. Page file is already off to the HDD, and Superfetch and index service are both turned off already.

This almost makes me want to RAID the Intel 520 and Kingston HyperX 3k I have on my other SATA III board now....

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Well, that's a step in the right direction for the future of the technology.... however, I would guess that Intel is going to be out with their "17-series" chipsets before I can justify the cost of building a system around their 7-series. :hello: