Last response: in Motherboards
May 3, 2011 4:50:57 PM

Hello
I am new to here am started to build my first system
I have
Intel i7 2.93 ghz 1156 socket
Gigabyte ga-h55m-ud2h
Oz 700 watt power supply
16gb ddr3 ram (4 x 4 gb i think kingston)
1tb Hitachi deskstar
Thermaltake is2000 heatsink
Light scribe dvd/cd writer

I have been told that the i7 chip has to has its own independt graphics card rather than using the onboard verison so i found a simple card lying in my attic which i know's work on my computer
So plugged it in re started pc and i am getting just a black screen and i cannot see / do anything
I then took out 12 gb of ram so that 4 gb is left and put it in the slot futherset away from the cpu but still no joy
On the board there is 2 green lights 1 amber and 1 red that light up

All these components are new

More about : gigabyte h55m ud2h

a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2011 11:54:11 PM

Have you tried to boot using the motherboard's onboard VGA or DVI port? If not, remove the card, clear CMOS per the manual, and reboot with your monitor plugged into a motherboard video out.
May 4, 2011 1:50:50 PM

I have tried to use onboard and external graphics card but the i7 chip requires an external graphics card, and what do you mean clear the cmos
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2011 6:06:08 PM

scotlad94 said:
I have tried to use onboard and external graphics card but the i7 chip requires an external graphics card
You have been informed incorrectly; it is the motherboard that determines whether a monitor can be plugged into it - not the Intel CPU.

Clearing CMOS is how the BIOS is cleared of it's settings and returned to factory default. This is normally done by moving a jumper on the powered down system's motherboard and removing the battery for a few minutes.
If you feel you are unable to perform these steps, please consult with a professional.
May 4, 2011 6:22:19 PM

yeh think i am going to have to get a professional to take a look at it
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2011 1:08:56 AM

Sorry I could not help you further. Let me know if I can.
!