Closed Solved

Which CPU is better? Help me shop lol

I was thinking of upgrading to this CPU, since my current motherboard uses the LGA 775 Socket.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036&cm_re=e8500-_-19-115-036-_-Product

But then i saw this one. Well, these 2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188064&cm_re=evga_motherboard-_-13-188-064-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115221&cm_re=i3-_-19-115-221-_-Product

A nice motherboard and CPU for the same price. Only problem is i'll be needing to buy Windows 7 system builders. Which i'm fine with since if anything happens with the motherboard in the future, i can just get the same motherboard. But since my oem on my current system came from emachines if my motherboard goes i'm screwed anyway. So i might as well get a system i can service myself and be responsible for. And i could upgrade to i7 later if need be, which with my LGA 775 motherboard is only compatible with the best dual core because of it's bios, and that E8500 over there is the best one i'm gonna get.
And i'll need to buy memory too, which i'm fine with because my current memory is slow and 1 module is 1gb and the other is 2gb and i think 4gb total of faster memory would be better. Was looking at these for memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227584

And the motherboard means i can SLI in the future if i want to, and i would actually have space for my GTX 460 without having to disconnect my CD drive..(which i rarely use)
So in short, which cpu is better? And can i use windows 7 system builders for personal use? And does my plan sound good?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which better shop
  1. In short, the i3, yes and yes.

    Personally, I think if you are willing to spend that extra amount of money, you will find it to be well worth it.

    And the windows 7 OEM is fine. The only difference is that you don't get a fancy box and Microsoft will not give you any phone support or warranty.
  2. Hmm... out of the two definitely the i3.

    But if you plan to hold on to your new rig for a little while longer then i suggest going for a quad core. In something like the i5.
  3. Best answer
    The i3 is better than the E8500, both in terms of performance and overclock-ability, as well as power consumption. With that board (Dual X8 SLI) you could run dual 460s wit ease.

    Though if you plan OCing, save $10 and go for the 530, the i3 dualies OCs to 4GHz like a breeze.

    What memory do you have? You could be able to savage the 2GB stick.
    Though I would rather get this set: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227586
    The latency isn't going to help much, unless you run memory-sensitive apps like rendering.
  4. Timop said:
    The i3 is better than the E8500, both in terms of performance and overclock-ability, as well as power consumption. With that board (Dual X8 SLI) you could run dual 460s wit ease.

    Though if you plan OCing, save $10 and go for the 530, the i3 dualies OCs to 4GHz like a breeze.

    What memory do you have? You could be able to savage the 2GB stick.
    Though I would rather get this set: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227586
    The latency isn't going to help much, unless you run memory-sensitive apps like rendering.



    It's DDr2 memory so i can't salvage it.
    And i just noticed that the motherboard is x8 only. Will i be better just getting a single x16 motherboard like this one?

    I don't really need the sli.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188063&cm_re=pci_express_x16_motherboard_evga-_-13-188-063-_-Product

    Or will the GTX 460 be able to perform just as well on the x8?
  5. fatedcloud said:
    It's DDr2 memory so i can't salvage it.
    And i just noticed that the motherboard is x8 only. Will i be better just getting a single x16 motherboard like this one?

    I don't really need the sli.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188063&cm_re=pci_express_x16_motherboard_evga-_-13-188-063-_-Product

    Or will the GTX 460 be able to perform just as well on the x8?

    If you don't need SLI, the point of getting a SLI board is pretty moot, but the performance hit with a 460 on X8 is less than 5%. SO the P55 for $20 less AR would be the better board.

    On a side note, Have you considered AMD? A Phenom 955 + 880G board costs about the same but you get 2 extra cores.
  6. Timop said:
    If you don't need SLI, the point of getting a SLI board is pretty moot, but the performance hit with a 460 on X8 is less than 5%. SO the P55 for $20 less AR would be the better board.

    On a side note, Have you considered AMD? A Phenom 955 + 880G board costs about the same but you get 2 extra cores.


    I have but, i'm more into Intel, and i like EVGA. Plus that setup would cost $20 more and funds are limited on $400 for motherboard, windows 7, memory and processor. I think i'll go with the x8 since it's cheaper and supports faster memory xD. Thanks for the info about x8 only being less then 5% performance difference.

    So i think i'll go with this combo.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227584&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=448cd3l0eg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115221&cm_re=i3-_-19-115-221-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188064&cm_re=evga_motherboard-_-13-188-064-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754&cm_re=Windows_7_Home_Premium_System_Builder-_-32-116-754-_-Product
    Thanks everyone for feedback :D
  7. Best answer selected by fatedcloud.
  8. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards Product