MATX $2000ish Gaming Build - Ready to Order?

kanenfawder

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 7/22/10
BUDGET RANGE: $2000
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Internet
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS (Win7 Pro x64), CPU (i7-930), Mouse (G500)
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Amazon, Newegg
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA
PARTS PREFERENCES: *shrug*
OVERCLOCKING: Minimal
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No. Maaaybe in the future.
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I need this PC operational 3 weeks from today, and I've had problems with DOA parts before, so I plan to order it ASAP. I can put off the monitor, keyboard, and UPS purchases until a later date (wait for a sale?), as I've got a monitor and keyboard (both slightly broken but functional), and I obviously don't need the UPS. My budget is flexible, and I can go over $2000. I just don't want to waste the money without seeing something from it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case:
NZXT Vulcan - $70
I like this case because of the smallish form factor, full-sized graphics card allowance, and the handle. I'm worried about being able to fit my H50's radiator on the front with push/pull. I'm not married to this case. I just want something portable. Is there a better mATX option that will fit a 5870? (I kind of like this guy, but I'm not sure if I could squeeze a 5870 in there.)

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - $0 (MSDN)

CPU:
i7-930 - $0 (already have)

CPU Cooling:
Corsair H50 - $75

Motherboard:
Asus Rampage III Gene - $240

GPU:
XFX HD 5870 - $380

HDD:
2x Samsung Spinpoint 1TB - $150

RAM:
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600 - $230

Optical:
ASUS DVD Combo - $24

Monitor:
Hanns·G HH-281HPB - $300

PSU:
XFX Black Edition 750W Modular - $80 (combo with GPU)

Keyboard:
G15 - $80

UPS:
CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series GreenPower UPS - $150
Would I be okay going with a cheaper UPS? I don't need it to be flashy. I just want something to keep my computer alive if the power drops for 10 minutes.

Cooling:
4x Zalman ZM-F3 120mm Fans for case and H50 Push/Pull - $41
NZXT 200mm Case Fan - $15

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the help!

::edit:: Added GPU options, HDD, more details
::edit:: Dropped BD reader
::edit:: Dropped Wireless (I'll go with usb to "save" space)
::edit:: Dropped SSD *sigh* I just don't think it's worth the money
::edit:: Decided on 2x Spinpoint 1TB drives Raid-0
::edit:: Changed to a stock GPU. Will OC myself if I decide to
::edit:: Went to Corsair Dominator ram, as the ram I had picked was only listed as supported for the RIIIG as Dual Channel
::edit:: Combo deal for XFX PSU

Solution
Good suggestions there...
Now as for the doubts and questions...
1. Why do you think that the case will not be suitable?? Have you thought of fitting the H50 radiator on the top?? And for a nominal overclock, I dont think you would need Push-Pull config for that radiator...An overclock of upto 3.6-3.8GHz is very much possible with a single fan config...
Or even the Scythe cooler that tecmo suggested is fine...

2. A single card probably - HD 5870
Most likely 2 cards - HD 5850

3. Just for storage, Green drives are OK...
4. PSU options
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095
But right now...

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Unless you're going to be watching Blu-Rays, save yourself a bit and get a standard DVD-RW drive. Theres no point in a BD Drive unless you're doing serious sized disk-based back ups OR having your PC as your central entertainment system too instead of a home theatre setup.

If you're worried about the PSU being overkill, try the Corsair HX650.

With the case and vent. The more fans you have, the more ventilation you have providing an equal amount are pulling air in and pushing air out which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But there is increased noise with more fans.

Why not try a Titan Fenrir CPU Cooler, best in class.

Unless you're using your OS for major business use and XP virtualisation, just get Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

The Rampage III Gene looks fun, i have the Maximus III Formula on the 1156 side, they are epic overclockers but you could perhaps save yourself some money and get a standard, non gamer oriented board that will perform relatively the same at stock speeds (unless after all this youre gonna be doing big OC'ing lol).

kanenfawder

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for the tips so far.

I feel like not getting a BD reader is just not forward thinking. Am I the only person who thinks we'll have installations on BD in the next year or two? I suppose waiting until that time comes to upgrade by optical drive could save me some money...

As for the motherboard, there aren't any other LGA 1366 mATX boards with SATA 6 or USB3. I don't see any real need for SATA 6, but I'd like to have some built-in USB3 functionality.

kanenfawder

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
*bump for edits*

Dropped the BD drive... And I'm thinking seriously about dropping the SSD. I can get it for a good price, but I just don't know if I'll be seeing any real functionality out of it over a standard HDD. If I drop that SSD, I can go with a HD 5970, but should I? Would I need a different case?

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
R3G is to my knowledge the only viable motherboard.

An ssd will prove far better than an HDD and at that price I'd go for it.

A 5970 will fit in your case. Is it a good choice? well that depends. Are you planning on adding another later down the line. If so yes a 5970 would be a great idea if not it wouldn't be.

kanenfawder

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Why is a 5970 only a good choice if I plan on adding another? What's wrong with a single 5970? Right now I'm actually leaning toward a single 5870 and adding another one late next year.

I went ahead and dropped the SSD. I watched a video showing a SSD vs HDD comparison, and while the SSD had noteworthy improvements (10 seconds faster boot, 5 seconds faster alt+tab from games, 5 seconds faster filesystem display), I just don't think I'll see $250 worth of usefulness out of one.

Updated build again. I'm under my $2000 limit right now, but I haven't included the extra couple of fans I'm going to be buying. I've still got some open questions in the original post. I'll summarize in case tl;dr

1: Case? I'm liking the Vulcan, but it limits my CPU cooler options. Is there something better?
2: 5850 (cheaper, smaller) vs 5870 (better)
3: Storage drive. Is the WD Green okay? Should I get another Spinpoint? Can I mount a 3.5" drive in a 5.25" bay?
4: After GPU and HDD decisions, will I need 750W? 650W?

Thanks again!

Good suggestions there...
Now as for the doubts and questions...
1. Why do you think that the case will not be suitable?? Have you thought of fitting the H50 radiator on the top?? And for a nominal overclock, I dont think you would need Push-Pull config for that radiator...An overclock of upto 3.6-3.8GHz is very much possible with a single fan config...
Or even the Scythe cooler that tecmo suggested is fine...

2. A single card probably - HD 5870
Most likely 2 cards - HD 5850

3. Just for storage, Green drives are OK...
4. PSU options
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095
But right now, with the coupon code, the Seasonic X650 would cost about ~$126 and it can even handle 2x HD 5870s IMO...
10% off w/ promo code psu7211, ends 7/27
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

And most importantly, if you will be switching to a different cooler like the scythe, then better to get a different RAM with short heatspreaders...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148254
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145236

And another good HD 5870
HIS Turbo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161331

Solution

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Well he answered bassically everything.

And I said a 5970 is better if you plan on adding another because a 5970 is very cost ineffective but offers a far better upgrade path in builds that don't support more than 2 cards. AKA yours. So if you don't make you use of that upgrade path IMO a 5970 is a waste.

^ I dont think having an i7 in that case would be an issue...
The H50 would be good enough to keep the temps in check...And also the graphic cards chosen would push out the hot air outside the case and not inside as open cooler types, that is where you would need good air flow inside the case...

And as for the mobo, I dont see any issues going with that mATX...As a matter of fact, the Rampage II Gene(mATX) outperformed the P6T(ATX) when those boards were launched...So I dont think the Rampage III Gene would be any different...

I wanted to post initially but this would be academic since TS already bought that i7 chip :p For my clients just gaming Full HD w/o HC AA/AF i do up 955BE + GTX 460 in a 4 x 120mm fans capable mATX mid tower @ $674AR?
Untitled-1755.jpg

Aftermkt cooler i would just stick to air and the low profileish Cooler Master GeminiIIS is my fav hehe

kanenfawder

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

I read that you want the radiator to be in an intake, and the top vents are obviously out. I've seen a lga 1156 build with the radiator mounted on the front vent, but it was a tight fit.

Not arguing here, but I don't understand why I'd want short heatspreaders on my RAM. To not vent too much heat near the CPU? I'll probably end up at least trying the H50, so it won't be an issue, but why do you recommend DDR3 1600 ram instead of DDR3 2000? I have to admit I'm severely lacking knowledge about RAM. I just assumed a faster was better.

And finally, that card looks good. I added it to my build list.

^ As a matter of fact, DDR3 RAM doesnt run hot as DDR2 or DDR1...
The Crucial 6GB kits without the heatspreaders were the ones that were widely used in TOM's build articles because of the very good results that it produced...So heatspreaders have little to do in the case of DDR3 RAM...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/6gb-ddr3-x58,2372-7.html

The main reason is the height of the heatspreaders...For the H50, it doesn't matter...but for most of the air CPU cooler it would interfere while positioning...