Sign in with
Your question

Intel motherboard UEFI boot?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2011 6:29:57 PM

Can anyone please share some info on how to make UEFI work on a Intel motherboard. I've tried to look up on the web, but none seem to be what I'm asking for, some articles are way out of date, and them so called "experts" on Youtube isn't any help since they'll all using Asus boards which has UEFI enabled by default. :sarcastic: 

These are the info I've managed to gather from the web so far.
1. Intel board's UEFI is disabled by default, to enable--head into bios and turn on UEFI Boot
2. UEFI requires a 64bit OS and HDD formatted as GPT
3. Win7 disc won't let you format your as GPT, but you can do a convert by bring up the CMD using shift+F10.
4. Once you converted, proceed as normal OS installation and when it's done, you should have a EFI partiton.

Now is this it or there's something else missing?

a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2011 2:27:30 AM

What motherboard?
1. I doubt it. If it is there, it will probably be always used; if it's not, then it will require a BIOS update.
2. False.
3. Irrelevant.
4. (U)EFI has nothing to do with the partitions. Nor does GPT – it's a replacement for the MBR.
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
May 4, 2011 2:42:32 AM

UEFI is Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. It's a replacement for the traditional BIOS. Your board either has it or doesn't -- it cannot be turned on and off.

You're talking about booting with a partition over 2.2TB. A board with UEFI is one required component.

Further info:
UEFI.org PDF
Seagate KB article
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2011 5:17:39 PM

The board I'm working on is a Intel DH67BL.

1. This board looks like uses a traditional bios, but UEFI can be enabled or disabled.
http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/...
2. I'm talking about booting from a EFI drive, this requires a 64bit OS and has to be GPT.
3. On a clean HDD, Win7 disc does not directly create a GPT partition so you have to do a convert. To do that it must be at the command prompt. How do you access Command Prompt when you don't have a OS?, Press shift+F10.
4. Read pointer #2.
5. UEFI is not a replacement to traditional bios.
Quote:
UEFI.org: Q: Does UEFI completely replace a PC BIOS?
A: No. While UEFI uses a different interface for "boot services" and "runtime services", some platform firmware must perform the functions BIOS uses for system configuration (a.k.a. "Power On Self Test" or "POST") and Setup. UEFI does not specify how POST & Setup are implemented.
source
6. I got more info and did what MS says.
7. Now proceed to install Windows 7 and the crap gave me a error "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."
8. If it's done correctly, you should have a EFI partiton. Don't know how this person managed to do it. Also while EFI and GPT is need for HDD larger than 2TB. This doesn't mean you can't perform the same task on a smaller drive.

9. Asus and others already did the hard steps so it's easy for the end-user. Not Intel!
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
May 5, 2011 12:25:44 AM

How did that person do it? They likely used the software that emulates GPT, which comes with the hard drive.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2011 2:17:53 AM

lp231 said:
The board I'm working on is a Intel DH67BL.

1. This board looks like uses a traditional bios, but UEFI can be enabled or disabled.
http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/...
2. I'm talking about booting from a EFI drive, this requires a 64bit OS and has to be GPT.
3. On a clean HDD, Win7 disc does not directly create a GPT partition so you have to do a convert. To do that it must be at the command prompt. How do you access Command Prompt when you don't have a OS?, Press shift+F10.
4. Read pointer #2.
5. UEFI is not a replacement to traditional bios.
Quote:
UEFI.org: Q: Does UEFI completely replace a PC BIOS?
A: No. While UEFI uses a different interface for "boot services" and "runtime services", some platform firmware must perform the functions BIOS uses for system configuration (a.k.a. "Power On Self Test" or "POST") and Setup. UEFI does not specify how POST & Setup are implemented.
source
6. I got more info and did what MS says.
7. Now proceed to install Windows 7 and the crap gave me a error "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."
8. If it's done correctly, you should have a EFI partiton. Don't know how this person managed to do it. Also while EFI and GPT is need for HDD larger than 2TB. This doesn't mean you can't perform the same task on a smaller drive.
]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3226/uefi.jpg
9. Asus and others already did the hard steps so it's easy for the end-user. Not Intel!

2. No, you're talking about either booting from a >2.2 TB drive, where you need 64-bit Windoze (32 or 64 bit Linux is fine) and GPT, and with Windoze you need UEFI to boot from it; or you're talking about booting from a GPT drive, where basically the previous applies.

3. So what? You shouldn't really have C: at massive sizes (if it does an error check, it'll take hours), and you can convert to GPT later anyway.

5. Doesn't require a BIOS either. It needs the software to perform the POST, which can be implemented into it.

7. Do as I said in 3.

8. No such thing as an EFI partition. Or a GPT partition either, for that matter. You can have a HDD that uses GPT, though, which is what you seem to mean. As to that M$ page talking about EFI partitions, they are simply partitions there for use by the UEFI (system, note, not for using), and are really FAT32 partitions.

9. No they didn't.
m
l
a c 238 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
May 5, 2011 3:22:31 AM

The UEFI bios may cause a problem with some bootable programs. In particular, earlier copies of memtest86+ had difficulty in recognizing the usb cursor on a UEFI based motherboard, rendering the program useless. The current version has fixed the problem.
m
l
!