Troubleshooting GTX 280

LordNS

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Just recently I've encountered a problem with my GTX 280. When I run applications that utilize direct 3d I experience a startling video lock up after about 2 minutes. The computer will continue to produce somewhat regular audio output through the speakers, but the monitor displays only a series of triangles in usually a red or blue pattern (see these photos). The computer is currently not overclocked, and the video card has never been overclocked. BIOS have been recently reset to factory defaults.

Now, I'd tried re-seating the video card in the correct slot, and re-seating the memory which seemed to work for a few days, but now the problem is becoming more persistent. What I'd like to know is if there is something that I am missing that could fix the problem, OR if i should send this video card away.

My current computer specs are:

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D pro
CPU: Intel Core i7 860
RAM: 2x2GB Mushkin 12800 DDR3
PSU: Corsair TX 750W
GPU: XFX nVidia GTX 280

Thanks for your help.

LordNS

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
The fan on the GPU seems to be functioning normally; using speedfan I see an idle temperature around 45ºC and when it crashes it seems to get to roughly 60ºC, which by any stretch seems to be somewhat normal, even a bit below average.

The ambient temperature is also just above room temperature.

60C at load is perfectly fine for that card. I can't imagine that's your issue. This only happens when utilizing D3D? That alone may be a sign of a potential culprit. Try updating to a newer or older driver and see if that resolves the issue.

If it doesn't do this with other 3D programs (like non-D3D games) then I'd say it could be a software/driver issue. Having ruled out the heat problem, it's either software or memory related (assuming the GPU works with other 3D applications).

LordNS

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I just downgraded from the 257.15 Beta drivers to the 197.75 (using driver sweeper in safe mode) and I still encounter the same problem. To clarify, I only get this error when using applications like Team Fortress 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Heroes of Newerth.

If you could recommend a program to stress the GPU otherwise that would be helpful. I'm off to put this card into my other system and see how that turns out.

Furmark is a great way to stress your GPU. It can run in a windowed mode as well, so you can see if the whole screen distorts or just the Furmark window.

You can also try a free trial version of 3dMark06 or 3dMarkVantage just to see if you experience any issues there.

LordNS

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Well, placing the card in a different system yields the same result as shown in the first post. I've also just tried Furmark, and it also quickly crashes my computer and causes a solid color to be displayed on my monitor regardless if I run in a window or not.

I'm willing to take suggestions but I think this might be a hardware fault. Right now I'm downloading nvidia system tools and will try lowering the clocks from the factory settings.

LordNS

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Well, looking at the bright side it's all the more reason to get my mits on those new shiny ATi cards.

Lowering the clocks to more modest levels allows the card to function for longer periods, but it looks like it is time to send this one away.

Thanks again.

Yup the card is dead. I had a Geforce4 do that too it was bad memory. Clocking it down(memory only) made it work. A quick RMA and I was good as new. Hell, that card still works today(ok, the fan is dead but easily fixed).