Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A Monitor or a TV at same res

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 12, 2010 7:45:54 PM

Hi!, Im about to change my display for my games, but i have a question before doing that... supose that we have a Monitor of 24" at 1920x1080, and in the other hand a TV of 42" at the same 1920x1080, well at the first view i´ll be going for the TV becouse its much bigger, but my doubt is that if you lose quality for the much bigger dsiplay or is the same quality than the 24" monitor?, this will be decide wich one i´ll buy (and the price of course), i hope you can help me, thanks!

More about : monitor res

June 12, 2010 7:47:57 PM

is the TV HDMI? does your video card have HDMI?
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 12, 2010 7:56:33 PM

Viewing Distance

Assuming both are of good quality, viewing distance is the key here. If you're viewing from the same distance, the 24" PC monitor will likely have a more detailed appearance. This is simply because the 1920x1080 pixels are packed more tightly. The 42" display would potentially have further spacing between the pixels and this could translate to a lesser quality image up close.

Now, the other thing is product design and quality. PC monitors and TVs are not necessarily the same with pixel count, and the way they actually display images (TVs tend to have image processing and such).
m
l
Related resources
June 12, 2010 8:02:00 PM

Yes "Number 13" both have HDMI port, and jerreece you are saying if i play closer to the display is better a monitor, but at wich distance is recomended the tv?
m
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
June 12, 2010 8:11:36 PM

I've been out of the TV business for quite a while. But a 42" TV has a good viewing distance for like 15-20 feet for TV and movies. For finer detailed computer stuff, I probably wouldn't want to be any closer than 10 to 15 feet. If you get too close you'll see imperfections in the image (pixelation).

As long as your system is always trying to display 1920x1080, HDMI to a TV will work. Keep in mind however, that at any other resolution (for instance at POST or when viewing BIOS) your TV's image processor may try to resize things to fit the screen. It may not be an optimal experience. Or, should you run a program at any lesser resolution, things will be stretched to fit, depending on the settings on your TV.

I'm not saying don't do a TV. But want you to understand the cons before you select the pros. :) 
June 12, 2010 8:29:31 PM

Ok I understand, and for gaming at 15-20 feet the TV looks like the monitor closer?
m
l
June 12, 2010 9:38:36 PM

monitors will always look better because of the pixel count, if you open a text document on a TV you can really see the pixelation, thats why HDMI looks so good, higher data bandwidth, some of the new TV's are going to 120 Hz refresh rates in an attempt to look better, but the results don't agree, given some time, they can get it down pat I think, at 15 to 20 feet you don't see the pixelation so much, hence looks better
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 12, 2010 9:51:58 PM

number13 said:
monitors will always look better because of the pixel count, if you open a text document on a TV you can really see the pixelation, thats why HDMI looks so good, higher data bandwidth, some of the new TV's are going to 120 Hz refresh rates in an attempt to look better, but the results don't agree, given some time, they can get it down pat I think, at 15 to 20 feet you don't see the pixelation so much, hence looks better

Agreed. The PC monitor will always have a more detailed picture down to the pixel level. That's how they are designed. TVs are meant to be viewed from a distance (where as PC monitors are meant for up close viewing).
m
l
June 12, 2010 10:30:41 PM

Ok, now I cleary undernstand the differences bettwen the two display, i think a will go for the tv becouse im planning to watch movies and play videogames in a large distance, i think a will conserve my 19" monitor for the "more pc work" like documents, internet and stuff like that (close distance), so thanks to every one for your adivce, unless you have another advice for me that change my mind becouse i need to save more money for the tv hehe, see you!
m
l
June 12, 2010 10:31:30 PM

so long
m
l
June 13, 2010 3:24:20 PM

Best answer selected by heydan.
m
l
!