Autoexec.nt problem

I am unable to install a program that I know is good.
This error message pops up:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose Close to terminate the
application.

What can I do to fix this problem?

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
Program"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User