Can i Recycle these parts/rig as an HTPC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutfij

Titan
Hey everyone, i've been going through the forum thread but i couldn't find a definite answer.

Everyone on the forums are having a go at building a new HTPC

my question is, can i use this rig of mine as a HTPC?

Specs:

Intel E4300 @ stock
Intel DG965RY mobo
Transcend DDR2 2GB 800+
WD 320 GB HDD
HP DVD+/-RW w/litescribe Optical drive
XFX 8600GT Fatal1ty Passive cooled edition (DDR3 256MB)

or if its worth just chucking out of my house?

I'm asking this since my new gaming rig arrives in a few days

Rig:
Asus Maximus III Formula
Intel i5-750
OCZ XMP 4GB DDR3 ram
xfx ati 4850
WD 1TB+2x500GB HDD in raid 0

i'm also open to adding a few parts (soundcard?) if its worth salvaging?

thanks

Solution
That looks like a very nice case. Your link was broken though, I assume you meant this case. £129.25
CAT-DH101LBK.jpg

All of these Thermaltake cases use a Soundgraph iMon display (my case has an iMon display too). With the remote, you will be able to power on from a complete off state and the remote will control Windows 7 Media Center perfectly. It works by connecting to a free USB header on your motherboard and has a 24-pin power bridge that supplies power to the IR receiver during a completely off state.
E4300 and DG965RY, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD and 8600GT have the makings of decent HTPC.
Just need to be sure you get video to your TV (DVI?) and sound to your audio receiver or speakers.
What audio/video items do you need to have the HTPC-elect work with?

Lutfij

Titan
UM, i dunno...i'm a movieholic (if such a word exists) watch every sort fo movie. I doint own a hometheater system yet...but i can take on suggestions, save up and bingo!

I currently own a 43" (Normal) Panasonic projector Tv (it has the legacy video/audio in jacks as well as s-video in) which'll plug into the card via the s-video cable. But the old tv is making way for an LCD TV, hopefully a Sharp Aqeous 32" - 42" (i need help on that as well, choosing a good maker). My room is actually rectangular so plan on using the DTS to full effect...

I'v been following your progress WR2, brilliant job here on the forums!

So here's what i'll need further suggestions in:

HTPC case
Hometheatre system/reciever for a good price (remmember, will pay more IF its worth more)

anything extra i'll ned apart from the H/W?

thanks for the quick reply!

Don't forget a good remote, a wireless keyboard with a trackball/trackpad, and software.

On the software side, there are a lot of freebies. But if you advance to blu-rays then you'll need to spend some money. Don't worry about BD until you get a proper HDTV though.

That looks like a very nice case. Your link was broken though, I assume you meant this case. £129.25
CAT-DH101LBK.jpg

All of these Thermaltake cases use a Soundgraph iMon display (my case has an iMon display too). With the remote, you will be able to power on from a complete off state and the remote will control Windows 7 Media Center perfectly. It works by connecting to a free USB header on your motherboard and has a 24-pin power bridge that supplies power to the IR receiver during a completely off state.

Solution
With the LCD iMon displays, there are a lot of threads about people unhappy with the contrast. Read here to see what the problem is. Soundgraph has made available some filters that are supposed to make the display more readable. For sale here. You can see how the filters look on the iMon display and read more about the issue here.

I just thought you should be aware of this if it's a deal-breaker for you.

Edit- Correction, the first cases I linked use an iMon VFD display, only the last case uses the iMon LCD display that some people complain about.

Edit #2 - In this review, you can see what the LCD display on that last case looks like without the filter.

Lutfij

Titan
sorry about the dead link, thoug i was comparing the address...it had a / at the end... :p

Wow, thas cool to know! Having a read at the second link now...LOL T_T the reviewer used an E4300 !!! YIPPPEEEE, here i was thinking of saving up some cash and getting some H/W along with the case. Will i have an issue with xfx 8600GT passive coolers clearance in the HD101?

Lutfij

Titan
Read the review(must say...awesome guide/test/review), and have checked up on the other sites you've posted...do soundgraph ship to uk or overseas?

I just remembered about a review Tom's carried out, for H55 mobo's

i was wondering if i should splash some cash on a core i3-530, Gigabyte H55M-USB3 with 2 GB of ram(of your choice) * if its needed...otherwise i could use the old parts :) and spend more on geting HTPC peripherals :)

Lutfij

Titan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts