Aug 30, 2012
my specs

i7 3770k
ASUS Sabertooth mobo
WD 256gb SSD
2TB hdd
gtx 670 4gb
corsair 850tx v2

was looking around in the ASUS BIOS utility EZ mode and noticed my SSD is not the first boot priority. seems to go 2TB>cd/dvd>some crappy external drive> and last my 256gb ssd

i'm new to all this, but shouldn't my ssd have #1 priority? Windows7 pro and my games are on it. would it help in gaming to have the ssd boot first? i'm assuming once everything is booted that the CPU no longer gives any "priority" to anything.
i did switch the priority in EZ mods to the ssd being first and seemed like my desktop loaded faster, but could be a placebo effect lol. so any benefit to having ssd boot first? or should i just keep it like it is? thanks!

Solution
The usual boot order is DVD Drive, then the HD with your OS. That way you can boot from a CD/DVD if you have to. If you set it to look at your SSD, it will not check for anything else.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
The usual boot order is DVD Drive, then the HD with your OS. That way you can boot from a CD/DVD if you have to. If you set it to look at your SSD, it will not check for anything else.

Solution

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Slightly faster POST times. With the boot order, it checks each device down the list for a bootloader/OS. If the first device (in this case, your SSD) has an OS on it, it immediately boots from it without checking the other devices. Personally, I have my OS drive second and USB/removable drives first for diagnostic purposes so I don't have to change the BIOS settings every time I need to boot from USB. I exclude everything else entirely since I don't don't boot from anything else.

Mookeylama

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
well i was mistaken anyway (toldya i was new!). it's listing the 2tb first, then dvd, then a flash drive. it's not even listing the SSD. how can i change this within the ASUS bios uefi utility?

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
If it were me, and I couldn't figure it out by reading the manual and/or attempting to change it in the BIOS setup, and my computer was working well, I would adopt the "Don't fix what ain't broke" philosophy and get the heck out of there before I broke something.