Sign in with
Your question

Using same boot drive ssd for pc and laptop possible?

Last response: in Storage
September 29, 2012 8:13:32 AM

Hello guys,

It's been ages since I posted here, but anyways I've got a question. I am going to buy a cheap laptop(i3 probably) for when I move around on the weekends and for whenever I can't access my desktop. However the troubles of maintaining two operating systems(one for each computer) always bugged me, moving files around through networks between the systems, install software twice. It all seems like a lot of hassle.

So I came up with a solution, I would buy a 120gb-240gb ssd and put it in the hotswap bay on my desktop. Whenever I leave with my laptop I take the ssd with me plug it in the laptop and boot up from that. Now I know windows is tied to a motherboard, but seeing as I would have legal operating systems for both computers I don't mind bypassing windows activation if that is possible.

So my questions are: can I either give two product keys 1 for each motherboard for the 1 operating system on the ssd? Or is there another way to bypass this issue? And lastly does this setup have any other issues?

Thanks in advance

More about : boot drive ssd laptop

a b D Laptop
a c 79 G Storage
October 2, 2012 3:13:27 PM

Quite apart from any legal issues, there are technical reasons why it won't work.
First of all, you can't install Windows on to an external drive, which means you'd have to install it with the drive installed inside your PC.

If you then subsequently move that drive to your laptop, it will boot up but Windows will not start because all the hardware is entirely different. The bottom line is, Windows does not take kindly to being moved to different hardware. If both computers have entirely identical hardware, then there would be no problem.

Sure, Windows doesn't mind having new hardware added to it, but that's not the same thing because you aren't moving it to a different computer.

You cannot escape having to install Windows on each computer or laptop (unless it comes pre-installed of course).
a b D Laptop
a c 317 G Storage
October 2, 2012 6:43:38 PM

Yup, the different chipset and driver issues make this a non-starter. While you often can drop a Windows 7 drive into a different (but similar) machine and have it update all the necessary drivers, it is not something to rely upon.

I travel a lot and I find that keeping synchronized data files on Google Drive and doing the same with my email using Thunderbird makes using two machines easier.
!