Sign in with
Your question

Display detected by PNP wrong

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 12, 2010 10:09:31 PM

I have a Westinghouse 22"lcd (LCM-22w3) that is detected by pnp as an Acer 17" (AL1714). This screws up the native resolution on the 22" and I have to force it to 1680x1050 after every boot up. I have tried this monitor on XP and Win7 (dual boot on separate HD) (a dell E510 w/bios updated) and get the same results. I also tried it on a Toshiba laptop (XP); again pnp detecting it as an Acer. There are no drivers for the monitor from westinghouse because it's pnp. I have updated XP to all the latest updates and also my graphic card (ATI radeon) to the latest drivers. Westinghouse says problem is a Microsoft glitch. Microsoft says they can fix it gaurenteed for 1 yr for $140, I told them I'd get a new monitor. Anyone know where the problem lies.

More about : display detected pnp wrong

June 12, 2010 11:54:47 PM

ATI radeon X300/X500/X1050 with cc panel latest version 10.2
Interesting that other post had a similar problem. I can force native resolution as i stated in original post, but when i reboot it goes back to the 17" resolution. The laptop which also sees the monitor as an Acer just has a basic onboard graphic chip, so I don't think it's the graphics card. I found a referance to the acer AL1714 monitor in the registry but it can't be deleted (saving first for future replacement) even in safe mode. Going to check laptop for similar reg line.
I updated to CCC yesterday so it should be the latest, but I'll recheck
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2010 4:13:24 AM

I downloaded a program called Powerstrip from http://www.entechtaiwan.com/
that let me edit and save the edid information. My computer still sees the 22" as the 17" but I was able to edit the info (in options/monitor information) so that the native resolution is correct for a 22" every time i boot up, which solved my problem.
m
l
June 29, 2010 2:03:27 PM

i have the same exact problem can you tell me the steps to properly handle this problem using the powerstrip program?
m
l
June 29, 2010 3:13:21 PM

Open power strip, it shows up in the task bar. Open options/ monitor information.
On the bottom left side below Display Parameters, under option, expand that box that says "Read data from registry". Select "write custom monitor driver". Follow instuctions that pop up. Change monitor driver from Control Panel/ System /Hardware /Device Manager to the new .inf driver file you created. May have to restart computer for change to take.
m
l
June 30, 2010 6:29:36 AM

Fa28 i thank you very much for everyting

I still Need help!!!

I have been tryn to do this for probly 5 hours today and i just cant get it..
ok i made the new driver file i think i did it right.. westinghouse LCM-22w3 1680--1050 and 75 -85 are these specs the spec you used??

and also after haven the inf file how in the world do you get it be updated as the new driver i saved the file in new folder2 on desktop and link the source to desktop/new folder 2 then everytime i go to browse for driver and link to folder click install it says the best driver is installed already..
This is a huge headache.. the monitor worked fine 2 days ago i used it at 1920-1080 for years now then smack it wont go past 1260
this sux..

Please give me some assistance or even give me a call to walk me thru i would greatly appreciate it..
3475357267 Emmanuel
m
l
June 30, 2010 3:26:51 PM

eMAN2010 sent you a private message
m
l
November 17, 2011 12:07:38 AM

fa28 said:
eMAN2010 sent you a private message

I have the same problem as eMAN2010 ive been trying to fix it for 2 days, it wont take the custom driver it says "Windows has determined that the driver you are using is the best" or something......
m
l
November 17, 2011 10:27:34 PM

It's been awhile since I used powerstrip but try going to Display profies/ configure/ advanced timing options/ custom resolutions. Play around with different setting of the resolution you want. sometimes it would work sometimes not.
I'll respond better when I have time to review what I use to do. Like I said It's been awhile.
m
l
November 18, 2011 6:31:49 PM

i cant get it to work, the resolution slider doesn't show the User-Defined resolution after adding it and restarting. i would really appreciate a quick reply
m
l
November 18, 2011 7:48:49 PM

1st have you updated drivers for your video card, that will solve this sometimes. Or possibly your bios if your using onboard video. Also check your video cable, some older VGA cables didn't use all 15 pins and sometime I've found a DVI cable will work but a vga cable will have problems. See last sentence.
In power strip, after you go to display profile and then configure, you shoud see a window that has your video card on the top line/window. below this is two columns "color depth" and "options" on the left, "resolution" and "refresh rate" on the right.
Under the "refresh rate" click the "Advanced timing options" bar. On the bottom right of the window that comes up click the "custom resolution" bar. On the window that comes up click on the resolution you want (look through the whole list cause the same resolutions may be repeated. For the 22" lcd you can use 1680 x 1050 (LCD) or 60Hz. After you clicked on the resolution, on the bottom right click the, "Add new resolution" bar.

This should make the change; restart may be required. Then open windows "display properties"/"settings" and hopefully you can change the resolution to 1680x1050 on the slider bar. if not click the advanced bar, and the monitor tab, and uncheck the box that says "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display". ( actually try this first before messing with powerstrip.
m
l
November 18, 2011 8:21:39 PM

fa28 said:
1st have you updated drivers for your video card, that will solve this sometimes. Or possibly your bios if your using onboard video. Also check your video cable, some older VGA cables didn't use all 15 pins and sometime I've found a DVI cable will work but a vga cable will have problems. See last sentence.
In power strip, after you go to display profile and then configure, you shoud see a window that has your video card on the top line/window. below this is two columns "color depth" and "options" on the left, "resolution" and "refresh rate" on the right.
Under the "refresh rate" click the "Advanced timing options" bar. On the bottom right of the window that comes up click the "custom resolution" bar. On the window that comes up click on the resolution you want (look through the whole list cause the same resolutions may be repeated. For the 22" lcd you can use 1680 x 1050 (LCD) or 60Hz. After you clicked on the resolution, on the bottom right click the, "Add new resolution" bar.

This should make the change; restart may be required. Then open windows "display properties"/"settings" and hopefully you can change the resolution to 1680x1050 on the slider bar. if not click the advanced bar, and the monitor tab, and uncheck the box that says "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display". ( actually try this first before messing with powerstrip.

tried list all modes(didn'd have anything higher than 1280x1024) , the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" only applies to refresh rates............. and 1680x1050 [LCD] or 60 Hertz didnt show up on the slider. so neither works, i got a DVI adapter to plugin to my monitor but unfortunately i got DVI-I isntead of DVI-D(the one my monitor has)

Edit: Oh and i have updated my drivers, it changed resolution to 1280x1024 when my brother accidently pulled the power cord out of the wall
m
l
!