Using TFT for new project?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
November 12, 2004 11:43:11 AM

Hi folks,

A quick 'blue sky' question...

I'm trying to design an inexpensive exhibit for the charity I work for.
The plan is to use a commercial 'open frame' TFT screen (12.1" most
likely - SVGA or XGA) to mount underneath a cutout metal panel.

This is all fine, but the cost of open frame TFTs is pretty high, and I
was wondering whether there is any way to run a laptop TFT screen
(either a TFT sold as a replacement, or one 'borrowed' from a
second-hand laptop) from the video-out of a desktop PC?

Laptop TFT screens presumably use a low voltage power input - this
would be especially useful in the 'moist' environment the display will
find itself.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Toby
--
Toby Marsden

More about : tft project

November 12, 2004 12:11:42 PM

Hi Barry,

Thanks for this. I don't know how easy it is to get 10.4"/12.1" desktop
displays, but it might well be worth a look.

Thanks again,

Toby
November 12, 2004 6:51:34 PM

toby@toby.org.uk wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> A quick 'blue sky' question...
>
> I'm trying to design an inexpensive exhibit for the charity I work for.
> The plan is to use a commercial 'open frame' TFT screen (12.1" most
> likely - SVGA or XGA) to mount underneath a cutout metal panel.
>
> This is all fine, but the cost of open frame TFTs is pretty high, and I
> was wondering whether there is any way to run a laptop TFT screen
> (either a TFT sold as a replacement, or one 'borrowed' from a
> second-hand laptop) from the video-out of a desktop PC?
>
> Laptop TFT screens presumably use a low voltage power input - this
> would be especially useful in the 'moist' environment the display will
> find itself.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Toby
> --
> Toby Marsden

An open frame TFT with built-in SVGA interface is gonna cost you
a pretty penny. If you only need one, get a used laptop with adequate
display and put the whole thing in there. That way, you have multiple
ways to interface it. I once bought a kisok with MAC powerbook inside.

Moisture is BAD no matter what technology you use. Good news is that
it's easier to seal a TFT due to lower heat removal requirements.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 $2200

It's possible, but usually not economically feasible.

There are only 6 functional parts to a desktop LCD monitor:

-the LCD panel (with lamps)
-the backlight inverter to power the lamps
-the video card, converts video (VGA and/or DVI) to drive panel
-control panel board (contains the 4 to 8 user input menu buttons)
-power supply
-connecting cales (often VERY specialized)

It's possible (difficult, but possible) to find these on your own and
assemble them together. Everything has to "match", which is a huge part
of the issue. When you are done, you will probably spend more than a
new desktop display would cost, and you won't have any enclosure.

[In your situation, it might be easier/cheaper to simply buy a desktop
LCD monitor and take it apart.]

toby@toby.org.uk wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> A quick 'blue sky' question...
>
> I'm trying to design an inexpensive exhibit for the charity I work for.
> The plan is to use a commercial 'open frame' TFT screen (12.1" most
> likely - SVGA or XGA) to mount underneath a cutout metal panel.
>
> This is all fine, but the cost of open frame TFTs is pretty high, and I
> was wondering whether there is any way to run a laptop TFT screen
> (either a TFT sold as a replacement, or one 'borrowed' from a
> second-hand laptop) from the video-out of a desktop PC?
>
> Laptop TFT screens presumably use a low voltage power input - this
> would be especially useful in the 'moist' environment the display will
> find itself.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Toby
> --
> Toby Marsden

November 12, 2004 9:05:11 PM

I actually have a 12.1" TFT screen color monitor. It would be ideal
for your project. Nice black/dark grey case too.

But, I'm in the US and it wouldn't be practical due
to the shipping costs.

> Hi folks,
>
> A quick 'blue sky' question...
>
> I'm trying to design an inexpensive exhibit for the charity I work for.
> The plan is to use a commercial 'open frame' TFT screen (12.1" most
> likely - SVGA or XGA) to mount underneath a cutout metal panel.
>
> This is all fine, but the cost of open frame TFTs is pretty high, and I
> was wondering whether there is any way to run a laptop TFT screen
> (either a TFT sold as a replacement, or one 'borrowed' from a
> second-hand laptop) from the video-out of a desktop PC?
>
> Laptop TFT screens presumably use a low voltage power input - this
> would be especially useful in the 'moist' environment the display will
> find itself.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Toby
> --
> Toby Marsden

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 13, 2004 3:19:48 AM

Try www.earthlcd.com

toby@toby.org.uk wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> Thanks for this. I don't know how easy it is to get 10.4"/12.1" desktop
> displays, but it might well be worth a look.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Toby

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 19, 2004 2:57:12 AM

toby@toby.org.uk wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> A quick 'blue sky' question...
>
> I'm trying to design an inexpensive exhibit for the charity I work for.
> The plan is to use a commercial 'open frame' TFT screen (12.1" most
> likely - SVGA or XGA) to mount underneath a cutout metal panel.
>
> This is all fine, but the cost of open frame TFTs is pretty high, and I
> was wondering whether there is any way to run a laptop TFT screen
> (either a TFT sold as a replacement, or one 'borrowed' from a
> second-hand laptop) from the video-out of a desktop PC?
>
> Laptop TFT screens presumably use a low voltage power input - this
> would be especially useful in the 'moist' environment the display will
> find itself.
>
> Any ideas?

Doesn't help you now <g> ... but a bloke at the Stratford computer
market (East London) had some 10" SVGA ones a while ago (with HD15 input
and PSU) for about 60 quid. Nice little displays ... I should have
grabbed one or two. Probably from cash register/POS type assemblies.

Might be worth looking out in those kind of places though ...

I am not a marketing target ... I am a free man.
!