Sign in with
Your question

Network connection cuts in and out

Last response: in Networking
March 22, 2010 2:28:46 PM

I am having a problem with my internet connection cutting out a few minutes after restarting the computer or repairing the connection. At first the connection is fine but after sitting at a page for a minute when I try to navigate away from that page it is impossible to load another page. I have tried mutiple browsers and they all have the same issue. Any ideas as to why this is happening?
March 22, 2010 4:10:23 PM

How are you connecting to the internet?

Is the computer connecting wirelessly? wired?

Is it connecting to the router that has the WAN connection?

What router are you using?

Do other computers on the network have the same problem?
m
l
March 22, 2010 6:13:33 PM

I am using a wired connection from a netgear router....However, I found out it has to be the computer and not the connection because when I hook another computer up to the same connection it works fine. All of the other computers running off the same router work fine also so it has to the be something with the computer. I am not sure what is wrong with that computer and why it is doing this.
m
l
Related resources
March 22, 2010 6:23:55 PM

To answer your questions Through a router connected to a dsl modem using a wired connection. It is also connected to a LAN when the connection works. Netgear WGR614. Yes other computers are connected to the same router/network and are not having the same problem so I am pretty sure it is the computer and not the connection. thanks!
m
l
March 23, 2010 12:58:09 PM

Maybe you have a bad ethernet cable. Maybe your computer is being maxed out. Weak CPU, not enough RAM, etc... .

Can you copy files across the network without incident?
m
l
March 23, 2010 1:50:56 PM

It's not the ethernet cable I have tried using a different one and I still get the same results. It shouldn't be the computer being maxed out because it can open up programs pretty fast and its not chugging at all. I own a tax business and when I try to e-file my clients documents sometimes it will time out because of the internet connection being too slow. I have tried copying files over the network and that works fine.
m
l
March 24, 2010 4:45:52 AM

try typing direct IP addresses in the address bar may be something is messed up with you DNS setting

so instead of http://www.google.com
you will put http://74.125.127.104
It should bring up Google's web page but there will be "English" in gray under google (so you know you aren't getting it from the cash on your computer)
m
l
March 24, 2010 1:48:13 PM

Ok I tried that but it still didn't work. I have also tried disabling the firewall, uninstalling the network card then reinstalling it, scanning for spyware, malware and virus' and everything was clean. After all that I still get the same results of being able to load one page then not being able to navigate away from that page after a couple minutese and my e-filing timing out.
m
l
March 24, 2010 2:03:27 PM

open up a command prompt and run a continuous ping to www.google.com and see if it fails when you get a page loading error.
If you open up another browser window does it get out or does it hang?
m
l
March 24, 2010 2:49:31 PM

I am able to ping google.com when the pages start to hang. When I open up a new browser window or tab it still hangs untill I repair the connection or wait about 5 minutes.
m
l
March 29, 2010 2:14:55 PM

sorry to do this but..bump...anyone else have any other ideas?
m
l
March 30, 2010 1:41:17 PM

KidHorn said:
How are you connecting to the internet?

Is the computer connecting wirelessly? wired?

Is it connecting to the router that has the WAN connection?

What router are you using?

Do other computers on the network have the same problem?

Hey kid tell him to change the connection :bounce: 
m
l
!