How do I re-install Connection Manager?

Connection Manager was accidently deleted from my computer while I was in the
"add or remove programs" window. I'm not able to connect to the network in at
work without it. Is there a way to re-install this program?

I've tried re-installing Windows XP, which didn't help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about install connection manager

    I can only assume what you might have removed. Open Add/Remove Programs in
    Control Panel, click Add/Remove Windows Components, select Networking
    Services, click Details, place a check next to Internet Gateway Device
    Discovery and Control Client, click ok, follow the prompts and see if that
    resolves the issue.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "smching" <smching@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Connection Manager was accidently deleted from my computer while I was in
    > the
    > "add or remove programs" window. I'm not able to connect to the network in
    > at
    > work without it. Is there a way to re-install this program?
    >
    > I've tried re-installing Windows XP, which didn't help.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Connection Manager is the client dialer that is included with Windows XP Pro.
    I tried your suggestion, but still couldn't find the connection manager
    program. Any other suggestions?? Thanks again.

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > I can only assume what you might have removed. Open Add/Remove Programs in
    > Control Panel, click Add/Remove Windows Components, select Networking
    > Services, click Details, place a check next to Internet Gateway Device
    > Discovery and Control Client, click ok, follow the prompts and see if that
    > resolves the issue.
    >
    > --
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >

    > "smching" <smching@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Connection Manager was accidently deleted from my computer while I was in
    > > the
    > > "add or remove programs" window. I'm not able to connect to the network in
    > > at
    > > work without it. Is there a way to re-install this program?
    > >
    > > I've tried re-installing Windows XP, which didn't help.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Yes, I know what it is but I was trying to figure out what you might have
    removed to remove it.

    First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    Second, download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com

    If this is a relatively recent issue, you might try using System Restore to
    take you back to a time when this worked properly. Start\All
    Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore. If that doesn't resolve
    it, try the information below.

    The following assumes you have an actual XP CD as opposed to a restore CD or
    restore partition supplied by your PC manufacturer.

    Go to Start, type sfc /scannow in the run box and press enter. Note, there
    is a space between sfc and the forward slash. You will be asked for your XP
    CD. Be aware, upon inserting the CD the XP setup screen may appear, this is
    not a part of sfc /scannow, rather it is being invoked by autorun. Simply
    minimize the screen and allow sfc to continue.

    If the above fails to resolve the issue, try a repair install as follows:

    Be sure you are well backed up in case there is a problem from which you are
    unable to recover. NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data
    files intact, if something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be
    forced to start over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your
    data backed up, you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive. If it isn't or you are not sure, you need to enter the
    system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter setup press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    Boot from the CD. If your system is set to be able to boot from the CD, it
    should detect the disk and give a brief message, during the boot up, if you
    wish to boot from the CD press any key.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    --

    > Connection Manager is the client dialer that is included with Windows XP
    > Pro.
    > I tried your suggestion, but still couldn't find the connection manager
    > program. Any other suggestions?? Thanks again.
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> I can only assume what you might have removed. Open Add/Remove Programs
    >> in
    >> Control Panel, click Add/Remove Windows Components, select Networking
    >> Services, click Details, place a check next to Internet Gateway Device
    >> Discovery and Control Client, click ok, follow the prompts and see if
    >> that
    >> resolves the issue.
    >>
    >> --
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >>
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> "smching" <smching@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Connection Manager was accidently deleted from my computer while I was
    >> > in
    >> > the
    >> > "add or remove programs" window. I'm not able to connect to the network
    >> > in
    >> > at
    >> > work without it. Is there a way to re-install this program?
    >> >
    >> > I've tried re-installing Windows XP, which didn't help.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.

Configuration Connection Microsoft Windows XP