Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Allocating the ~700 GB in Seagate barracuda 3TB HDD in Windows 7 64bit

Last response: in Storage
September 29, 2012 9:11:53 AM

Hello,
I recently built a new PC with Asus M5A88-V EVO motherboard, 8GB corsair memory and seagate barracuda 3TB HDD.

I installed windows 7 64bit on it, I am now seeing the ~700GB unallocated space when I right click my-computer >Manage.

After searching google, I knew quite a few people have had similar problems.

The questions I do have is:

1. How do I know that my system supports 3TB HDD? The motherboard website states that there is a BIOS update to "Fix the issue that the size may be incorrect when build RAID with 3TB HDD"
Does this mean I already have a 3TB HDD support? please note that my bios is not mouse controlled and I assume this means it is not UEFI?!

2. My hard disk is MBR system?, do I have to re-install windows 7 64bit to enable the GPT file system or can I just do it right now without having to re-install OS?

Your help is much appreciated

Regards

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a c 104 G Storage
September 29, 2012 4:54:46 PM

Hi there, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

There are a couple ways to address this issue, and I am assuming your non EFI MB set up your boot drive as a Basic Drive, MBR partition style.

You can check in Disk Management in the graphical area, in the Drive Info column, and right click to Properties, then on the Volume Tab it will say Basic, or Dynamic, and the Partition style as MBR or GPT.

If you absolutely want to have the Seagate to show just one large Volume, you will have to update your BIOS as stated, but then start all over, and before Custom Installing Win-7, use Shift F10 to get to the command prompt, use DiskPart to set the HDD as GPT, and use the single unallocated space for your large partition.

Seagate set up their 3TB HDD's by default to display one 2.2TB drive, and a second 800GB drive.
Here is an article on "Everything you need to know about 3 TB drives", which can help answer the problems of configuring 3TB drives in a 2.2TB world.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/235088/everything_you_ne...

Other options include converting your Basic Drive to a Dynamic Drive, then spanning both "drives" into a single dynamic volume, or just using the Seagate as two separate drive letters as you have presently.
September 30, 2012 11:46:00 AM

Best answer selected by PCBuilder80.
m
l
!