480/512 GB SSD for Asus N56VM

ghost_florian

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Hello everyone, I just got an Asus N56VM notebook. Amazingly fast as it is, I feel it's adequate to make it even better with a nice ssd.

I want a 480/512 GB SSD, as I think this would allow no compromises on space. However, I don't really know which one to choose. I live in the UK, so Newegg is not an option for me.

I was looking at the Sandisk Extreme 480GB, but speeds and I/O performance are quite low for such a high capacity drive. The Samsung 830 is too expensive, and the m4 looks a bit outdated compared to the competition.

Which drive would you suggest ? I have a £50 amazon voucher, so any suggestions from that website would be welcomed :) I would ideally want it to be below £300. I am looking for top class performance(not necessarily the best), and decent reliability.

I also have a Samsung Center in my city, so a Samsung drive would be a very good option in case something breaks. Should I wait for the 840 to come to market, so that the 830 becomes cheaper ?

ghost_florian

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
OK, but if say I decide to go for a 240/256 GB version, which one should I go for? The price difference between 256 and 512 is a bit too steep (i.e. more than twice)

I don't use that much software, and media I can easily store on an external drive or NAS.

Would the HyperX 3k or Vertex 4 be a better option than the 830 ?