Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Msi vs asus

Last response: in Motherboards
May 4, 2011 1:37:06 AM

Hello, :hello: 

I am considering these two motherboards. Which do you think is best?

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard
or
MSI 880G-E45 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Any help and suggestions would be great...

More about : msi asus

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2011 3:03:31 AM

I would normally recommend Asus, but with all the trouble reported with that board - go with the MSI
:) 
m
l
May 4, 2011 3:26:46 AM

What type of problems?
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2011 7:35:03 AM

Obviously ASUS's is best due to performance,Upgrade and warrenty.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2011 10:29:44 AM

vishal s said:
Obviously ASUS's is best due to performance,Upgrade and warrenty.
How does Asus perform better that benefits our OP?
Which upgrade are you referring to?
Why is one 3-year warranty better than the other?

Reports of the Asus board shorting out USB headers are ubiquitous on the web - not just Newegg. Like I said: I normally recommend Asus, but this one if not up to their usual standards. All makers have problematic boards - including Asus.
m
l
May 4, 2011 12:55:23 PM

Also consider the chipsets and NB's involved, if you need on board video or don't want to mess with it, that might be a consideration as well.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
May 4, 2011 4:15:03 PM

Those (2) MOBO are not the 'same' the MSI has a IGPU and the ASUS requires discrete GPU. Therefore, if the OP's plan is to purchase a discrete GPU then I'd opt for the ASUS otherwise, duh, the MSI.

The only recent ASUS issues are those of a few P8P67's e.g. P8P67 (REV 3.1) & P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) to date which are forthcoming. The primary issues were ASUS's implementation of the B3, and in most instances 'fixed' via a BIOS flash -- yep some older were DOA.
m
l
May 4, 2011 7:30:49 PM

jaquith said:
Those (2) MOBO are not the 'same' the MSI has a IGPU and the ASUS requires discrete GPU. Therefore, if the OP's plan is to purchase a discrete GPU then I'd opt for the ASUS otherwise, duh, the MSI.

The only recent ASUS issues are those of a few P8P67's e.g. P8P67 (REV 3.1) & P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) to date which are forthcoming. The primary issues were ASUS's implementation of the B3, and in most instances 'fixed' via a BIOS flash -- yep some older were DOA.

I'm also getting ready to purchase a Asus board the ASUS P8P67 EVO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard B3/Digi+VRM, BT Go, UEFI BIOS, USB3/SATA6, 2x GbE

I was wondering if this is one of those boards I need to be aware of. If so what would you reccomend as an equal.

Sorry if I'm hijacking here
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
May 4, 2011 9:00:39 PM

I very poorly worded my response re P8P67's -- the 'newer' P8P67 (REV 3.1) & P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) are the 'updated' versions and otherwise the differences are the USB 3.0 controller chipset. ASMedia is on the 3.1 and soon VIA is also getting into the USB 3.0 market.
REV 3.0 – NEC USB 3.0 controllers
REV 3.1 – ASMedia USB 3.0 controllers

As far as the ASUS P8P67 EVO few people buy them so there's not a lot of feedback, but the very first thing I would do is update your BIOS prior to installing the OS. The primary advantage to the EVO is the second LAN -- so it's an Intel / Realtek dual LAN. I assume this is for a LAN Party PC.
m
l
May 4, 2011 11:19:41 PM

jaquith said:
I very poorly worded my response re P8P67's -- the 'newer' P8P67 (REV 3.1) & P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) are the 'updated' versions and otherwise the differences are the USB 3.0 controller chipset. ASMedia is on the 3.1 and soon VIA is also getting into the USB 3.0 market.
REV 3.0 – NEC USB 3.0 controllers
REV 3.1 – ASMedia USB 3.0 controllers

As far as the ASUS P8P67 EVO few people buy them so there's not a lot of feedback, but the very first thing I would do is update your BIOS prior to installing the OS. The primary advantage to the EVO is the second LAN -- so it's an Intel / Realtek dual LAN. I assume this is for a LAN Party PC.

Actually it's not for Lan parties. I know this is where this is aimed at but there were a few features I liked. I feel has better cooling, power/reset on board and heard somethng about better power ??can't remember
I was really going to go Deluxe but some of the feedback worried me(of course thoose are the few as many folks don't FB when things go well)
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2011 1:20:25 AM

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard
I know I have only chosen Newegg quotes, but I have neither the time nor inclination to get the rest scattered thither and yon on the web.
But I am telling you; this one board has more problems than average.
Quote:
Cons: Having grounding issues as others have posted. I've bought a total of 6 boards for customers PC's, every single one of them is having shorting issues when using the front usb case headers...every one! Not to hard to connect the headers, even with different cases still having the same problem. All I have to do is get close to the USB front panel headers the PC reboots.

Other Thoughts: Love ASUS but this is crazy.

Quote:
Cons: I had this motherboard for about 6 months now and I absolutely love it except one little thing. for some reason (and alot of people been having it) the mother board is just unstable it'll run for about a few weeks then crash and it's one of two type of crash the blue screen and the memory reset.

Quote:
Cons: constant BSOD with G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL, crashes sometimes at startup, hates cold boots. Corsair ram works fine in it and the G skill works fine in another mobo. It seems to be a compatibility issue with the ram. Asus nor G skill forums have support for it but a lot of other people with unfixed BSOD with Gskill ram and this board.

Other Thoughts: I have built alot of systems with Asus, their support has always been lacking so i switched to MSI for a while and decided to go back to Asus cause the MSI boards had bad reviews and this one did not. I am getting tired of having to RMA items period, especially because of compatibility issues after paying for 1 day shipping. Its Like flushing week of my time and 20$ down the drain. Might start shopping somewhere i can return it and get my money back the same day.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
May 5, 2011 1:23:51 AM

IMO - I like: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme {Marvell 9182 & Dual Intel}, P8P67 WS Revolution {build quality & Dual Intel}, P8P67 DELUXE {x8/x8 + x4 open, Marvell 9128 and USB3 Ft Panel} and Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7.

However, I prefer native PCIe so to me the winner is ASUS P8P67 DELUXE.
m
l
May 5, 2011 1:46:06 AM

jaquith said:
IMO - I like: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme {Marvell 9182 & Dual Intel}, P8P67 WS Revolution {build quality & Dual Intel}, P8P67 DELUXE {x8/x8 + x4 open, Marvell 9128 and USB3 Ft Panel} and Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7.

However, I prefer native PCIe so to me the winner is ASUS P8P67 DELUXE.

Funny that was my first choice anyway, someone else kept pushing for the ASUS P8P67 Pro and another for the MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)

As far as I can see almost all of the mobos are having somesort of problems here and there
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
May 5, 2011 2:20:49 AM

technoidgit said:
As far as I can see almost all of the mobos are having somesort of problems here and there

^+1,000,000

Frankly it's scary! I've never seen so many problems with so many different P67's - it's been a disaster from the B2 -- to now. The SB CPU is gorgeous -- the MOBO's -- humpback of Notre Dame. The Panther Point is due Q1 2012.

But without exaggeration, thankfully it seems when the P67 MOBO works, it works. Good Luck! :) 
m
l
May 5, 2011 12:40:54 PM

jaquith said:
^+1,000,000

Frankly it's scary! I've never seen so many problems with so many different P67's - it's been a disaster from the B2 -- to now. The SB CPU is gorgeous -- the MOBO's -- humpback of Notre Dame. The Panther Point is due Q1 2012.

But without exaggeration, thankfully it seems when the P67 MOBO works, it works. Good Luck! :) 

Yes it is scary and ridiculous. I almost feel I should have stayed with my original idea of building a i7 875k or 970 or even an 970. Maybe I just go cheap on a P67 or wait for the Z68. Who knows if the new stuff will be any better though. I hate to build now then have to or want to swap out board in a few or even 7 to 8 months. Like you I think the SB cpu is sweet but the P67 seems like a polished turd(looks nice but still a turd). Maybe I will just go with the ASRock mobo, I'm just so freaking confused as it been several years since I built a PC and really don't need any problems with the build.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
May 5, 2011 1:24:27 PM

I wish I had a solid answer for you. The Z68 has both its' Pros & Cons. IMO, testing will tell, the IGPU will share bandwidth with the PCIe, and in similar chipsets AMD 890FX vs 890 GX has cost 5%~15% discrete GPU performance. However, I have seen Z68's without an IGPU, but it's $400+ and too expensive for the majority of people.

In any case, I'm gun shy to be an early adopter e.g. forthcoming Z68, Z79, etc.

If I wanted to build today, P8P67 DELUXE with i5-2500K {gaming} or i7-2600K {gaming + general use}, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 {or B}, and Scythe SCMG-2100 {great budget HSF}. Lately there have been a lot of blow back with the Ripjaws X.
m
l
May 5, 2011 1:48:59 PM

jaquith said:
I wish I had a solid answer for you. The Z68 has both its' Pros & Cons. IMO, testing will tell, the IGPU will share bandwidth with the PCIe, and in similar chipsets AMD 890FX vs 890 GX has cost 5%~15% discrete GPU performance. However, I have seen Z68's without an IGPU, but it's $400+ and too expensive for the majority of people.

In any case, I'm gun shy to be an early adopter e.g. forthcoming Z68, Z79, etc.

If I wanted to build today, P8P67 DELUXE with i5-2500K {gaming} or i7-2600K {gaming + general use}, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 {or B}, and Scythe SCMG-2100 {great budget HSF}. Lately there have been a lot of blow back with the Ripjaws X.

That is the most sense anybody has made in the few days I have been trying to figure this build. Folks had been also swaying me to Ripjaws but I have heard of so many issues(Corsair was my 1st choice) I will also stick with my 1st thought and go 2600K as I do some photo and video editing using Adobe. For the cooler I will spend the extra and go with CH60 as I like the small manifold-may change it's fan later to a Scythe Gentle Typhoon the rest kinda goes like this
i7 2600K
P8P67 Deluxe
Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 8-8-8-24
Haf 932 Advanced
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX
MSI Radeon HD 6950 2 GB DDR5
LITE-ON Black CD/DVD Burner LightScribe

And an SSD I have not picked out yet
m
l
May 5, 2011 3:19:46 PM

jaquith said:
Adobe does take advatage of Hyper-Threading, games at this time don't.

As far as an SSD 'today' it's the OCZ Vertex 3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
good link -> http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...

I may just go on the cheaper side right now but someone had suggested the MAX IOPS Edition, I was abit turned off by the feedback. (43% gave it 1 egg) I know only about 20 to 50% of the happy buyers feedback and all unhappy do feedback but their comments are worrisome. I know the Intel ones are not as fast but the are solid and much faster than spin HDD. Although the OCZ Technology VTX3-25SAT3-120G seems to be doing OK and should really speed things up

It's been years since I built a PC. Now I need to figure out how to configure all of this correctly
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
May 5, 2011 5:00:44 PM

The OCZ Vertex 3 is fine, and you need to ignore the non-verified owner's comments. To complain that 550/500 is unobtainable is the fault of the MOBO. If you have either native SATA3 support or Marvell 9182 x2 PCIe (Marvell 912X has x1 and 400 MB/s is the max) you are fine.
m
l
May 5, 2011 6:13:37 PM

jaquith said:
The OCZ Vertex 3 is fine, and you need to ignore the non-verified owner's comments. To complain that 550/500 is unobtainable is the fault of the MOBO. If you have either native SATA3 support or Marvell 9182 x2 PCIe (Marvell 912X has x1 and 400 MB/s is the max) you are fine.

So then I should be good with the ASUS P8P67 DELUXE as it has Marvell 9182 along w/ 2 SATA 3 connectors? Correct?
m
l
May 5, 2011 6:32:38 PM

Your opinion. Some others are telling me that they don't think the Vertex3 is worth the xtra $ due to small % increase in speed. If the P67 Deluxe/2600K will read the vertex3 even to 500mb(upto 550MB) then that's still atleast twice as fast as say the Intel 320 (upto 270MB) and no just the 10%-15% or so they claim

Also I'm going with the Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24 do you think it is worth the extra $ to go with the lower latency 8-8-8-24 about $15 more?
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
May 5, 2011 8:39:52 PM

If you look at the "good link" above it has a few ASUS MOBOs using the Vertex 3 benched with ATTO, etc.

Worth it - if all you're doing is surfing the web and using Microsoft Office then no, but gaming, Adobe, SQL, or anything using heavy access of your drive then yes. A fast SSD "makes" the PC - it's nice to have click and poof open. I do very much prefer my SSDs!
m
l
May 7, 2011 11:18:57 AM

jaquith said:
If you look at the "good link" above it has a few ASUS MOBOs using the Vertex 3 benched with ATTO, etc.

Worth it - if all you're doing is surfing the web and using Microsoft Office then no, but gaming, Adobe, SQL, or anything using heavy access of your drive then yes. A fast SSD "makes" the PC - it's nice to have click and poof open. I do very much prefer my SSDs!

I did look at the link above, the review/forum od the Vertex3 with psted benchmarks. Very impressive. To me it seems like it should be worth it as the R/W speeds as about twice as fast as eben the other SSD's. TO me it seems like it should be much better and when spending $1500-$1600 +. Is it worth the extra $50 over....say an Intel 320 to me it seems like it but I'm already over what I want to spend right now(kinda) For an all around pc and not used for mega gaming or LAN parties do you think I should still get the Asus P67 Deluxe over the Pro. That is my real I'm not sure if I need it items as I'm still not 100% sure how it will benefit me. I know you mentioned the Deluxe and I think it's seems more durable and maybe more future proof but not sure why??
m
l
May 7, 2011 12:09:44 PM

one of my other concerns is being able to link up one of my old HDDs (ATA) so I can transfer some of my programs like Photoshop CS2(along w/others) as I want to upgrade it to CS5. I think an enclosure might be the easiest way, but not even sure if I can or how to do it. I quess I need to read up.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
May 7, 2011 5:13:47 PM

If I had to choose, in most instances, between an ASUS P8P67 DELUXE or ASUS P8P67 Pro and a X2 speed SSD then I'd choose the P8P67 Pro.

No such an animal as 'Future Proof' expect a PC to last 3~5 years, if the goal is to be on top of the banana heap then 2 years is the expected lifespan.

You'll need to reinstall your Apps including Photoshop on the SSD. What I do is I store all of my documents on a 'HDD' and if the project files(s) require a lot of disk access then I move them to the SSD. If you have the luxury of a large SSD then you can install the Game files as well. In any case you want both the OS & Apps on your SSD and you want at least a 120GB+ SSD.

When I transfered my data I simply connected my old HDD via a SATA connection and move the Documents to the HDD. In my case and since IMO HDDs are cheap I use: SSD {OS + Apps + Working Files} and RAID 1 HDD {Documents}. HDDs have a limited lifespan so I tend to migrate data and once moved either store or military-wipe and/or physically destroy the old HDDs; my business has the, shredded.
m
l
May 14, 2011 12:11:25 AM

I want to thank everyone for helping me out with this one. I have decided after reading all of the posts and doing some more research that I will be choosing neither. I think that I will find a better board for this build. For both performance reasons and expandability options for the cost I think I am going to choose a board with no onboard graphics / hdmi chip set. I will go with a graphics card to solve this. This way I can still get all the slots and sata connections I need on the motherboard for a decent price.

BTW I'm really not sure if I could say ASUS or MSI is better hands down over all. I think each board has its pros and cons to deal with.. just like everything..... thanks for all your help...... :sol: 
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2011 9:07:08 AM

Get an AM3+ mobo, they're out for sale now.
May 24, 2011 1:38:28 AM

Best answer selected by cinbusiness.
m
l
!