Will this powr supply work?

melonhead

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
not really all that good when it comes to power supplies and whether they will work with components. so, i figured i would come to ask. im looking at upgrading my whole computer. due to money constraints, im doing it in small bits. first off, im going to upgrade my power supply. the power supply will have to eventually work with the ATI HD 5850 video card, an asus and intel I7 MB/proc setup(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5519&CatId=4139). the system will have 2 sata 500 gig HD and maybe 2 dvd burners. at least 1 for sure. im going with triple channel ram on this with a total of 6 gigs at the start. possible to add more. but probably wont. also, this will be single video card setup.

as far as the power supply ive been looking at, ive been looking at the kingwin ABT-800MA1S 800watt Power supply(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4256918&sku=K450-2507). the wattage im pretty sure should be good as long as im not going SLI/xover. but, will this work for all of these components? mostly worried about amps and such.

any input would be greatly appreciated

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty (in the USA). Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the newer Antec power supplies.

melonhead

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
well, thank you all for the input. with the input i had recieved here and from other sources, i have gone with a corsair 750W PS. mainly because of the price (after rebate instant/mail in) comes to 90bucks. warranty is also a 7yr warranty. so, that is also a plus. alot of the feedback ive seen on new egg/tigerdirect dont have many bad remarks.
i had decided to go away from the modular though. mainly because of seeing alot of remarks about it not really being worth it unless you stare at the inside of the box all day instead of actually using the computer for what its for. eventually the case that im getting doesnt have clear sides anyhow. so, with proper cable mgmt, i can deal with it not being modular. my only concern with it is that it is a singel 12v rail.
does the single 12v rail really matter? or what is the plus side of having multiple 12v rails?