Motherboard Recommendations for First Gaming Build

This will be my first build and would appreciate some motherboard recommendations (under $200) based on the rest of the components I've compiled below. I've been researching components for a few days and the motherboard is the only thing left that I'm banging my head over. I'd also appreciate any comments/suggestions/advice regarding the build. If you can suggest even better alternatives (in a similar price range), please feel free to do so. Thanks for the help.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Will purchase by Thursday, July 22.
BUDGET RANGE: under $900 (after rebates/before shipping)
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (hoping to go for ultra settings for World of Warcraft and high settings for more graphically intense games)
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, Cables, Sound Card (I'll be using integrated sound temporarily), Operating System (I'll be using Windows XP)
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA
PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel and nVidia
OVERCLOCKING: Any
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: at least SLI
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Since I'm primarily just playing WoW currently, I don't need any fancy sound yet - but I still need the versatility to add a nice sound card in the near future. I'm hoping that this is a build that won't break the bank yet has very reliable components - something that balances budget with power/quality.

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower
CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
Power Supply: XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC
Memory: G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
CD/DVD Drive: ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support
Motherboard: Recommendations are appreciated!
10 answers Last reply
More about motherboard recommendations gaming build
  1. EXPAND YOUR BUDGET AND GET AN ASUS RAMPAGE II
  2. What are you currently at? $750ish?

The ASUS P7P55D-E Pro at $180 is generally considered the most feature-filled (USB 3.0 & SATA 6 Gb/s) SLI-capable motherboard available.

The MSI P55A-G55 LGA ($125) also has USB 3.0 & SATA 6 Gb/s and does 8x/8x, but I haven't heard a lot about it.

As a note, I'm not sure I'd worry about using integrated sound. Onboard sound has improved a lot over the years, and most people don't really need a sound card unless they're extremely exacting about the sound quality.
  3. It would have to be the Asus P7P55D-E Pro $180.

Plus I think you will find that you won't need a soundcard as onboard provides good quality sound these days.

Hopefully you're checking around for combos.

If you're OCing the CPU then you might want to consider getting a heatsink, as it will be a step up over the stock in both temps, noise and probably max OC that can be achieved.
  4. What about if I don't need SLI? Would you still suggest the same board? I always thought that Gigabyte had great boards, but no one seems to recommend any. Makes me wonder why.
  5. well not that it matter to you since its the wrong socket but the gigabyte GA-X58A UD3R is a Tom's Recomended Buy and I am very happy with it, I can't speak for other gigabyte boards but I have a couple of friends that are very happy with their gigabyte boards as well
  6. Gigabyte boards are not recommended for SLI/Crossfire gaming builds, as with the 1156 socket, the architecture is such that if you use USB 3.0 or SATA 6 Gb/s, the 2nd PCI-E drops from 8x to 4x or 1x, which pretty much cripples multi-GPU.

If you don't need SLI, you don't need the ASUS board linked. It's just usually recommended, as it's one of the few that can SLI and has USB 3.0 & SATA 6 Gb/s.
  7. Definitely the Asus P755D-E PRO.
    Another option is to buy a 1st gen. 1156 mobo if usb3 and sata3 isn't a dealbreaker for you.
    Becoming hard to find though.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%2050001315%20600007888&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=280%7C13-131-400%5E13-131-400-TS%2C13-131-601%5E13-131-601-TS%2C13-131-599%5E13-131-599-TS
    Add an Asus U3S6 when usb3 and sata3 are mainstream.
  8. If you decide to go with a motherboard that can't SLI, then you won't be needing a 750W PSU.

If you don't want/need SLI or USB3/SATA6G then you could probably get a motherboard around the $100-150 mark, altho these ones might not have as many OCing features as the more expensive motherboards. How about this one: MSI P55-GD55? This gigabyte one comes out the same price after rebate: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 also no SLI.
  9. From this thread and other reviews, I get the impression that I should definitely get a board with SATA6 and USB3. I like the versatility of having SLI so I think I'll stick with the general consensus and go with the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro. Can someone confirm that all the other components are compatible with this board? I don't plan on overclocking myself (at least not now), so I wanna make sure I don't have to overclock anything manually to get things working immediately out-of-the-box? Thanks to everyone for the excellent feedback so far. Let me know if there are any components that you think I should upgrade.
  10. Everything looks fine.

You should set the timings on your RAM manually in the BIOS, but that's standard procedure, whether you're overclocking or not.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Motherboards Systems Product