Sign in with
Your question

2x120GB SSD in RAID-0 vs 1x240GB, using either ICH10R or Marvell 9218

Last response: in Storage
September 29, 2012 1:13:27 PM

I need help deciding which SSD route to go for my situation.

ASUS P6X58E-PRO Motherboard
i7 920 @ 4GHz on air, very stable.
6GB crap OCZ ram (need to upgrade this as well)

Motherboard has 6 3GB SATA ports on the ICH10R and 2 6GB ports on the Marvell 9218

I'm not a gamer. I do a LOT of video compression stuff, especially large files (files up to 40GB in size). Currently have four 160GB 7200RPM drives in a RAID-0. I plan to just install Windows 8 on the SSD setup, which is why I want to get this done soon. I have other large drives for storage.

Concerns/observations:
- Marvell controller gets a bad wrap. Bandwidth isn't what it should be, no TRIM, not sure if I can even do RAID on it
- ICH10R is only SATA-II, no TRIM support if I go RAID 0. ICH10R is far better chipset, but I'd have to go RAID 0 for both bandwith and I've read multiple SSD's are better for large file reads.
- SSD's have recently started having some really great sales; most of the sales are for the 120GB units. I seem to be finding two 120GB's for about 2/3 the price of a single 240GB.

I'm leaning towards two 120GB drives in a RAID-0 on the ICH10R. I'm not going to be buying top-end performance SSD's; more of your budget SATA-III stuff.

I realize Intel's new 7-series chip will do TRIM in RAID, but I'm not interested in spending the money for a new motherboard and CPU at this time, as I'm happy with my CPU performance but the hard drive performance is lacking a bit. I will likely be interested in making that upgrade in 1-2 years.

a c 124 G Storage
September 29, 2012 2:12:45 PM

Use the ICH10R and if you are in USA, then get two of the Kingston HyperX 3K for $65 each. And you wat for intel RST 11.5 Version that support TRIM on RAID0 (Intel 7 series chipsets ). I think they will release soon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (Sold out at less than 20min)
m
l
!