Sorry, another newbie question

When i start a new game, i have to configure my player, my team, my skin,
the mouse sensivity and the wheel mouse.

Which file(s) i have to modify to avoid this operation every time i run UT?

TIA
14 answers Last reply
More about sorry newbie question

    "Pr0m37h3u5" <aglieglie@brazorf.it> Blessed us with

    > When i start a new game, i have to configure my player, my team,
    > my skin, the mouse sensivity and the wheel mouse.

    What Operating System are you running? Linux, windows, et.al.?
    Are you running UT GOTY or just UT?

    > Which file(s) i have to modify to avoid this operation every
    > time i run UT?

    If you are running UT or UT GOTY, most of these settings can be
    found in User.ini in the UT\System folder, but the mouse
    sensitivity is found in UnrealTournament.ini in the UT\System
    folder I think, however it seems like something is throwing an
    error and causeing the game to revert to the DefUser.ini file. Do
    you play online in multiplayer at all? What ever you do *DO NOT*
    edit the DefUser.ini file or any of the Default.ini files as this
    could lead to having to reinstall the game!. It would be better
    to find out what is causing the game to revert to the default
    settings. Do you use the editor to make maps with? I'm asking
    this because I know that the game doesn't remember any settings
    that are changed while play testing a map from the editor.

    I've never pesonally had this problem so I hope this helps.

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

    Pr0m37h3u5 enlightened us with:
    > When i start a new game, i have to configure my player, my team, my
    > skin, the mouse sensivity and the wheel mouse.
    >
    > Which file(s) i have to modify to avoid this operation every time i
    > run UT?

    Your User.ini is probably read-only.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
    with news:slrncdc55o.gfm.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

    > Pr0m37h3u5 enlightened us with:
    >> When i start a new game, i have to configure my player, my
    >> team, my skin, the mouse sensivity and the wheel mouse.
    >>
    >> Which file(s) i have to modify to avoid this operation every
    >> time i run UT?
    >
    > Your User.ini is probably read-only.
    >
    > MeltDown

    Damn Melt!, where do you come up with this stuff? I would have
    never thought about the file being *read only*!!!.

    "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message
    > A nice gift from Microsoft. If you're using windoze, and you copy
    > something from a CD to your harddisk, 'doze will turn on the read-only
    > bit because you're copying from a read-only medium.

    windows xp doesn't do that anymore ;p

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

    flossie enlightened us with:
    > Just right click on the Directory and select properties. UNCLICK READ ONLY
    > from the Attributes section and click OK. when it asks you if you want to
    > REMOVE READ ONLY from everyfile click OK.

    Must be something new then. In win98 and perhaps win2k too, you had to
    fiddle with 'attrib' in a dos-box. Anyways, nice that they finally made
    it easier. I never understood, though, that they set a read-only bit in
    the first place.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
    with news:slrncddoru.agn.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

    > flossie enlightened us with:
    >> Just right click on the Directory and select properties.
    >> UNCLICK READ ONLY from the Attributes section and click OK.
    >> when it asks you if you want to REMOVE READ ONLY from
    >> everyfile click OK.
    >
    > Must be something new then. In win98 and perhaps win2k too, you
    > had to fiddle with 'attrib' in a dos-box. Anyways, nice that
    > they finally made it easier. I never understood, though, that
    > they set a read-only bit in the first place.
    >
    > MeltDown

    WinME is an upgrade to Win98 (if you want to call it an upgrade) and
    I have never had to mess with a dos prompt to change an attribute!.
    In WinMe it's pretty much like flossie said except after I have
    right clicked a file or folder and selected properties there are
    two tabs, a *General* tab, and a *Shortcut* tab. My file attributes
    are at the bottom of the General tab.

    I don't know about Win98 though or any of its patched variants. I
    can understand setting the RO bit if you're burning the file onto
    a permanent medium but not copying it from a permanent medium back
    to a temporary medium!. The RO bit should be cleared or at least
    prompt you for changes! The stupid thing is that if the file has
    the RO bit set and you go to move the file from one place on a
    temporary medium to another place on that same medium, or another
    medium of any kind, you will be prompted to the effect of "Are you
    sure you want to move the Read Only File (yada yada)?".

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "JHall" <jhall@playmlec.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > "Pr0m37h3u5" <aglieglie@brazorf.it> Blessed us with
    >
    > > When i start a new game, i have to configure my player, my team,
    > > my skin, the mouse sensivity and the wheel mouse.
    >
    > What Operating System are you running?

    Win XP Pro

    > Are you running UT GOTY or just UT?

    UT GOTY

    > > Which file(s) i have to modify to avoid this operation every
    > > time i run UT?
    >

    > If you are running UT or UT GOTY, most of these settings can be
    > found in User.ini in the UT\System folder, but the mouse
    > sensitivity is found in UnrealTournament.ini in the UT\System

    Already done, Thanks! But,
    I have experienced another prob like these: i tried to add a new server in
    my prefs and when i ran the game again, my new added pref wasn't there.Tried
    once again with no result.
    I decided to edit the UnrealTournament.ini file where the prefs are located
    to add my pref (Favorites[12]=URS TEAM\66.208.105.78\7778\Falso, i can
    modify the files so they aren't read-only) and still i can't see it in my
    prefs...
    HELPPP

    > folder I think, however it seems like something is throwing an
    > error and causeing the game to revert to the DefUser.ini file. Do
    > you play online in multiplayer at all? What ever you do *DO NOT*
    > edit the DefUser.ini file or any of the Default.ini files

    I won't do this!

    Do you use the editor to make maps with?

    No, i'm so occupied playing, not possible to edit anything!=)

    > I've never pesonally had this problem so I hope this helps.

    Sure, any help was appreciated!!
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > i can modify the files so they aren't read-only) and still i
    > can't see it in my prefs...

    So the files were set to *read-only* and switching if off did no
    good? You could try looking in your UT\System folder for a file
    called UNREALTOURNAMENT.log and open it with a text editor. Use
    the text editor's search function (if it has a search function) to
    do a non-case sensitive search for words like error, failure,
    warning, and critical. If you find some of those words it could
    give us some idea what's going on. Post only the lines from the
    log file that contain these words if you find any of them. Make
    sure you have first tried to add a server to your favorites before
    looking in the log file for errors. Also before you do anything
    at all, open your Unrealtournament.ini file with a text editor and:

    Find bHidden=True and bFallbackFactories=True
    Replace those with bHidden=False and bFallbackFactories=False

    This info is the courtesy of Folk.

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "JHall" <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote in message
    > MeltDown >
    > WinME is an upgrade to Win98 (if you want to call it an upgrade) and
    > I have never had to mess with a dos prompt to change an attribute!.

    actually, winme was a downgrade from win98 ;op

    and yes, all you ever had to do in win9x or win2k was right click on the
    file or folder and change the attributes. But I like winxp's not making
    them read only in the first place even better.

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> Blessed us with

    > actually, winme was a downgrade from win98 ;op

    I completely agree with you there dude! There seems to be nothing
    I can do about it though. I tried to install WinXP Pro and it
    tells me that a lot of stuff is going to quit working and some of
    my *built in* hardware is incompatible! Like my CPU speed is too
    slow for WinXP at 668mhz and WinXP requires at least 750mhz to be
    able to take care of the USB. The USB is how I'm connecting to the
    internet using a USB dial up modem. It's a long story that
    doesn't seem to have an end, except for just sticking to the best
    that I can get, that will work in this PC, and that seems to be
    WinMe. I am considering buying a new PC and have also considered
    Linux but I'm completely clueless, vexed, and perplexed with Linux
    as to what would work or not on this PC. ;-)

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Margolis enlightened us with:
    > and yes, all you ever had to do in win9x or win2k was right click on
    > the file or folder and change the attributes.

    Win9x never offered to remove the read-only bit recursively.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > Like my CPU speed is too slow for WinXP at 668mhz and WinXP requires
    > at least 750mhz to be able to take care of the USB.

    I've used USB on a P166 MMX by plugging in a USB expansion card. Of
    course, I used Linux on that ;-)

    > I am considering buying a new PC and have also considered Linux but
    > I'm completely clueless, vexed, and perplexed with Linux as to what
    > would work or not on this PC. ;-)

    LOL Linux has that effect on people ;-)

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 22 Jun 2004 21:14:13 GMT, JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote:
    >"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> Blessed us with
    >
    >> actually, winme was a downgrade from win98 ;op

    The best way to fix win9x is to use Win98; Win98se; or WinMe (Windoze
    Mangled and mutated Edition), 98Lite; to *BREAK* Internut Exploder's
    stranglehold on Win9x, and the Win95 Explorer desktop and file
    manager.

    >I completely agree with you there dude! There seems to be nothing
    >I can do about it though. I tried to install WinXP Pro and it
    >tells me that a lot of stuff is going to quit working and some of
    >my *built in* hardware is incompatible! Like my CPU speed is too
    >slow for WinXP at 668mhz and WinXP requires at least 750mhz to be
    >able to take care of the USB. The USB is how I'm connecting to the
    >internet using a USB dial up modem. It's a long story that
    >doesn't seem to have an end, except for just sticking to the best
    >that I can get, that will work in this PC, and that seems to be
    >WinMe. I am considering buying a new PC and have also considered
    >Linux but I'm completely clueless, vexed, and perplexed with Linux
    >as to what would work or not on this PC. ;-)

    To get an idea of what in current distributions of Linux can work on
    your current system, try a LiveCD distribution of Linux.
    My personal favourite is Knoppix Linux -
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    It's Debian Linux with the KDE desktop and it boots directly from the
    CD.
    You can also install Linux from the LiveCD if you find you like Linux
    enough.

    Jenifur Charne
    Jenifur at Hypermax net AU
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Jenifur C <nobody@nowhere.com> Blessed us with

    > To get an idea of what in current distributions of Linux can
    > work on your current system, try a LiveCD distribution of Linux.
    > My personal favourite is Knoppix Linux -
    > http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html It's Debian Linux
    > with the KDE desktop and it boots directly from the CD. You can
    > also install Linux from the LiveCD if you find you like Linux
    > enough.

    Thanks Jenifur! :-) I bookmarked the page and will go back to
    it later. I was also reading on that page about *"Software-Patents"
    in Europe: The threat prevails*. It's too bad really that this
    whole world has to be governed by something as trivial as money!.
    It seems that money truly does make the world go around these days!
    :-( I'm happy in any event though!. :-)

    Thank you again!

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Mice Configuration Video Games