safemode boot over and over

I was in safemode removing some infected files (as symantec advised) when I
stupidly inserted the restore disk and tried to "repair" windows. I had
changed the msconfig to boot in safemode. When the restore disk tries to
setup it goes into safemode and gives me a message "setup can not run in
safemode. windows need to restart-- OK" I have tried the F8 but every option
still goes into safemode.
I have dont a backup of the "safemode" boot on a different computer running
a different version of XP. I then formated hard drive reinstalled windows and
then tried to restore my "documents and settings" It did not restore my
documents or user settings.
1. How do I change the msconfig so it will boot into "normal mode" allowing
windows setup to run?
2. Will this lose all my data?
3. What files do I need to include or exclude if restoring?
Any help is welcomed and thank you for your time in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about safemode boot over

    go to msconfig, click on boot ini tab, under the heading of 'boot options'
    uncheck safe boot hit apply then ok and reboot your computer. please advise
    if this solution resolved your problem

    "gixzerman98" wrote:

    > I was in safemode removing some infected files (as symantec advised) when I
    > stupidly inserted the restore disk and tried to "repair" windows. I had
    > changed the msconfig to boot in safemode. When the restore disk tries to
    > setup it goes into safemode and gives me a message "setup can not run in
    > safemode. windows need to restart-- OK" I have tried the F8 but every option
    > still goes into safemode.
    > I have dont a backup of the "safemode" boot on a different computer running
    > a different version of XP. I then formated hard drive reinstalled windows and
    > then tried to restore my "documents and settings" It did not restore my
    > documents or user settings.
    > 1. How do I change the msconfig so it will boot into "normal mode" allowing
    > windows setup to run?
    > 2. Will this lose all my data?
    > 3. What files do I need to include or exclude if restoring?
    > Any help is welcomed and thank you for your time in advance.

    The only thing that happens is the "safemode" around the screen and then the
    message appears. Windows won't load. Is there a way to start in DOS-Prompt so
    I can manually change the boot.ini? Should I, or can I put that hard drive
    into another system and change the boot.ini just on that hard drive?

    "terry" wrote:

    > go to msconfig, click on boot ini tab, under the heading of 'boot options'
    > uncheck safe boot hit apply then ok and reboot your computer. please advise
    > if this solution resolved your problem
    >
    > "gixzerman98" wrote:
    >
    > > I was in safemode removing some infected files (as symantec advised) when I
    > > stupidly inserted the restore disk and tried to "repair" windows. I had
    > > changed the msconfig to boot in safemode. When the restore disk tries to
    > > setup it goes into safemode and gives me a message "setup can not run in
    > > safemode. windows need to restart-- OK" I have tried the F8 but every option
    > > still goes into safemode.
    > > I have dont a backup of the "safemode" boot on a different computer running
    > > a different version of XP. I then formated hard drive reinstalled windows and
    > > then tried to restore my "documents and settings" It did not restore my
    > > documents or user settings.
    > > 1. How do I change the msconfig so it will boot into "normal mode" allowing
    > > windows setup to run?
    > > 2. Will this lose all my data?
    > > 3. What files do I need to include or exclude if restoring?
    > > Any help is welcomed and thank you for your time in advance.

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility
    please go here for further help.

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 04:57:06 -0700, terry wrote:

    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility
    > please go here for further help.

    Why? That group is for "Accessibility" features in Windows. Screen
    magnifier, toggle keys, etc.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User