New PC for gaming(mostly)

Cyberblank

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Hi gang. PC just died and i'm now looking for a new machine, something mostly for gaming. I want to get something that is going to be fast but not going to break me. mainly for games like COD4, BC2 and the MOH demo(both of the last two killed my machine even on medium).

Anyway, the company i work for gets a pretty descent discount through HP and i found this on the site, is this something that would run the above games and more on high without no issues?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-980X Extreme Edition
10GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM
1.5TB 10000 rpm SATA Drive

2 - 1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260

No motherboard info listed.

Any and all help is appreciated.

It won't do that well. You're spending a fortune on the CPU and RAM, neither of which really impact gaming performance. The six core CPUs do basically nothing in game, and anything over 4-6 GB of RAM is completely wasted if you're not doing heavy encoding or rendering. After that, you're getting two very old GPUs.

I highly recommend that if you're looking for a gaming machine, you look at custom builders like DigitalStorm, IBuyPower, CyberPowerPC, and the like. Or even better, build it yourself. In general, prebuilts aren't very good for gaming simply because they're expensive and often come with low quality choices.

I don't know how much you're paying for the HP, but by guessing from the MSRP of the parts alone (and a generous mark-up), I'd be willing to guess it's well over $2,000. That's a very high price to pay for such a bad gaming machine. That's enough to buy one that would literally be one of the fastest gaming PCs around.

Here's a list of high quality parts that you could get if you build it yourself:

CPU/PSU: i7-930 and Corsair 950W $385 after rebate
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R $210
RAM: G.Skill Trident 3x2 GB 2000 mhz CAS Latency 9 $185
GPU: HD 5970 $680
SSD: 2x Intel X25-M 80 GB $430 (you can leave this out without impacting gaming performance)
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $75
Case: HAF 922 $90
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $20
HSF: Noctua NH-D14 $90 (only if you want to overclock)

Total: $2,265 (with HSF)

G

****. That computer is something which would play any game on maximum settings quite comfortably. It has the most powerful desktop processor currently available. I find it a bit odd that it has 10GB of RAM as that processor uses RAM in triple channel (3, 6, 9, 12GB etc.) and so it would be kinda inefficient having 10 gigs.

Would you consider building a computer? You would save yourself a lot of money. By the way, that processor is completely overkill. You could get one for a third of the price and it would make no difference to gaming performance for a few years.

EDIT: Damnit, I thought it said GTX 460 :lol: Nevertheless, it would still do great in games but it would just be money spent ridiculously. You'd be much better off with MadAdmiral's build.