Sign in with
Your question

Sata 3 versus Sata 2 SSD Raid 0 questions and problems

Last response: in Motherboards
May 4, 2011 8:59:17 AM

Hello,

I'm a newbie to the forum and a novice but avid pc tech person.

I have 2 Intel x-25m G2 drives in raid 0.

I previously was upgraded from an EVGA x58 3x sli 132-BL-E758-A board to
the newer SATA 3 board, the EVGA x58 FTW3.

With hd tach and hdtune my previous read scores on the older board were a consistent average read of 520MB/sec. with burst speeds around 3600MB/sec

With the newer FTW3 board I am getting a consistent 434.3 MB/s average reads, and 432.3 MB/s

Can anyone help explain why there would be this difference?

I have noticed that the SSD drives are not using the two SATA 3 600 MB/s ports, but are plugged into the SATA II ports.

Does this matter? Is this the optimal configuration? Could this be my problem?

Other system specs are: Intel Core I7 980x over-clocked to 4.2 GHz, 2 EVGA GTX 580's in SLI
a c 216 V Motherboard
May 4, 2011 2:44:05 PM

You may have a difference in drivers .

Why are you wanting raid(0, I presume)?

If you need to combine both drives to see a larger system image, then ok. I did that with two X25-M g1 80gb drives.

If you think you are getting better performance, then you might rethink your strategy.
Synthetic benchmarks operate at unrealistic queue lengths(like 32) for the normal desktop user. They measure MB/sec and iops, neither of which we care about. They are used for marketing hype. What we care about is how fast we can apply patches, upgrade to sp1, or retrieve a web page. If you are a gamer, level loads. The reality is, that AS SSD benchmarks show that all SSD's have similar random response times, and that is what is most important.

By using raid, you forgo using trim to keep your ssd clean, and quick to update.
Your synthetic benchmarks look impressive, but bear no relationship to your actual user experience.
We rarely do lots of sequential operations, where raid-0 may be of benefit. What the OS does mostly is small random reads and writes. A task that the SSD does very well.
I changed from two 80gb gen1 drives to a single gen2 160gb drive using AHCI and TRIM, and got the same subjective performance. If anything, it was a bit better.

I have come to the conclusion that most SSD's will give the user the same performance. The caveat is that the drive be somewhat current with well developed firmware, like the Intel ones. As an early adopter, I upgraded to the Intel 510 120gb using 6gb sata. Performance is still good, but not noticeably better. In retrospect, I should have gone with the 160gb 320 drive instead.
a c 715 V Motherboard
May 4, 2011 3:01:34 PM

Yep, the Marvell 912X is capped at x1 PCIe lane or 500 MB/s the new Marvell 9182 has x2 PCIe lanes. 3600MB/sec :heink:  - maybe a RAM Drive...

Yeah, use the latest Marvell drivers and AHCI, but it still won't correct the underlying problem.

Therefore use the Intel SATA2 ports.
!