These components good for a cheap gaming computer?

chloefreak17

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Motherboard - Foxconn A7DA 3.0 AM3 *$111.20 AUD*
CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 Quad Core 640 3.0GHz *$128.70 AUD*
GPU - HIS Radeon HD 5850 iCooler Video Card *$331.20 AUD*
RAM - Kingston 2GB Memory, PC3 10600 (1333MHz) DDR3 *$54.00 AUD*
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500 GB *$45.00 AUD*
DVD Drive - Samsung SH-S223C Internal 22x Speed *$24.00 AUD*
Overall - $694.10

Will these parts work together and does it seem like a fair system for the money?
What Powersupply and case would you suggest for these parts?
These are all prices from Mwave, newegg doesn't ship to Australia, so are there any other cheaper sites with these parts?
Any other information i should know?

Solution
I would probably go for a WD Blue, Black or Samsung F3 HDD unless you're really serious about saving energy. Get a good PSU (Corsair, Silverstone, Antec), 500W at least with 2 6-pin PCIe connectors for the graphics card.

The motherboard has on-board GPU I believe. Consider a discrete mobo or hybrid mobo that adds the 5850 to an onboard GPU.

Shouldn't be any probs with compatability.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
I would probably go for a WD Blue, Black or Samsung F3 HDD unless you're really serious about saving energy. Get a good PSU (Corsair, Silverstone, Antec), 500W at least with 2 6-pin PCIe connectors for the graphics card.

The motherboard has on-board GPU I believe. Consider a discrete mobo or hybrid mobo that adds the 5850 to an onboard GPU.

Shouldn't be any probs with compatability.

Solution

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I would recommend getting 4Gb of RAM instead of 2. But 2 will get you started. Although its probably better to get 2 x 2GB DIMMS. The CPU and GPU are gonna be fine for a gaming rig :)

Also, +1 to getting a good PSU. Corsair are awesome.

loneninja

Distinguished
The Caviar Green series of hard drives are designed for maximum power efficiency and are a bit lacking in read/write speeds compared to other drives, if looking for performance I'd recommend changing drives.

You should also really have more than 2Gb of ram, getting 2Gb for now and upgrading later is fine, but there is a good speed boost going from 2Gb to 4Gb of ram, at least for my system as I've removed 2Gb before.

If the Foxconn mobo doesn't have all solid caps, get one that does. The low-end Foxconns don't have a great reputation.
Don't get a cheap PSU. I prefer Antec or Seasonic, but would also buy Corsair, Enermax, or maybe OCZ ModXstream or possibly Fatal1ty, but not their others.
The onboard GPUs only do hybrid Crossfire with the low-end HD3450 / HD4350 calibre cards, so that won't apply to you.