Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Difference between a Core2Duo and Core i Processor

Last response: in CPUs
September 22, 2010 7:27:00 AM

Hello,
I need a difference/Comparison (basic) Why is the core i better or worse (as if you might need to upgrade the motherboard and other things, i.e if that's true)
a c 83 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 8:39:13 AM

Sounds like a homework question to me, which I don't like answering but I'll point you in the right direction.

Look up reviews of the I3 and Core2Duo processors, the original launch reviews should give plenty of information about the different architectures, which is the key difference between the 2.

Few easy pointers to mention about the I3. It is manufactured on 32nm, has L3 cache, doesn't use FSB(Front Side Bus), and it has hyperthreading.
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2010 2:41:22 PM

I've compared the i5-750 with a Q9400. At similar clock speeds the i5 is about 15% faster. The i5 is capable of at least the same overclock as my Q9400, maybe more.

The big advantage of the i5 is if you don't intend to overclock. As Intel alludes to in their ads, the i5 will overclock itself to some extent automatically.

Comparisons with the i3 and a core 2 duo are probably similar.

Some of the "i" chips have hyperthreading. I don't know how much this helps but it seems to help a little bit in apps that can use a lot of cores.
Related resources

Best solution

a c 131 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 4:05:42 PM

hassaanc3 said:
Hello,
I need a difference/Comparison (basic) Why is the core i better or worse (as if you might need to upgrade the motherboard and other things, i.e if that's true)

Please read the stickies, then ask more specific question about what you don't understand or what additional information you need.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283109-28-differences...
October 5, 2010 4:28:38 AM

Best answer selected by hassaanc3.
!