I7 870 temps high? any help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyov

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
i had just swaped cpu's tonight and seen that my idle temp went up alot on avr. 50c at load 73c i have it overclocked to 3.8ghz
i am no pro at overclocking so plz tell me what im doing wrong

Solution
The temps and voltages look ok to me I have an i7 860 and at 4ghz I get about the same load temps. The idle temps seem a little high though. You could try re-applying thermal paste and re-seating the block. Also try to overclock from the bios. [:bohleyk:1]

tommyov

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
...i swaped from a i5 660..(which ran great)your going to laugh at me but, i use the gigabyte overclocking tool and then go in and play with the base clock till i see temps i like. i dont go far with it +-.i never play with the volts as i dont know what im doing. i think that the volts are on that screen shot. if you need more info ill get it. and the ram thats another question. in the intel performance tool i used to get a 5.9 score in the ram but when i over clocked the base to 159 i got a 7.2 ram score.. dont get that

Snowbum

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Everything sounds normal.

The 870 is a hotter chip then the 660. It uses more power and has a larger cache, so it is going to run alittle bit hotter. 73c at load sounds about right for the base and voltage that you have it at.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
The temps and voltages look ok to me I have an i7 860 and at 4ghz I get about the same load temps. The idle temps seem a little high though. You could try re-applying thermal paste and re-seating the block. Also try to overclock from the bios. [:bohleyk:1]

Solution

tommyov

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
i do use the bios to tune it i just dont mess with the voltages as i dont know what im doing there i think it has something to do with that i dont have the right volt..could under volting it be the prob?

anyway why i bought the cpu is that i saw everyone overclocks it to 4 ghz with no prob.
and is the best choice for fsx (what i use it for) and that is my goal fingers x...just need help getting there
i gota get over my fear of voltage..i was just worried that the heat was so high at idle its now at avr.45c idle 50c across all cores

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
From what I have read 75c-80c are safe load temps for an i7, anything over 80c is to high. But since the CPU will rarely sees 100% load for long periods of time they are just reference. As long as they dont go over these temps in stability tests you should be fine. For reference, a stock i7 with stock cooling has load temps around 75c-85c from what I have seen.

What was your i5's clock speed?

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
I have a core voltage of 1.28v at 4ghz but you may be able to get yours lower. You are useing the gigabyte overclocking software right, it is a good way to get a base overclock and then go into the bios and tweak from there. I still think your idle temps are a little high on the i7.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Not bad. Try some more overclocking if you want. If you have any trouble send me a message or start a new thread and I will find you. I would start by turning your base clock up and leaving your vcore where it is at. If its not stable then raise your QPI Voltage to 1.17 if still unstable slowly turn your vcore up. You shouldnt have to raise voltage very much if any. Just play with these voltages. I have noticed that when I mess with PCH and PLL voltage my system becomes unstable. Good luck, Im glad I could help. [:bohleyk:1]

Vcore max 1.35
QPI max 1.2
You shoulnt need to go that high anyway, just letting you know so you dont cook anything. [:bohleyk:1]

Status
Not open for further replies.