Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Xeon
  • RISC
  • Database
Last response: in CPUs
September 22, 2010 7:56:42 AM

Hello
I working on olap application having database size 700 Gb and annual growth of 400 GB.
Please guide me to choose new machine for my application between XEON and RISC/EPIC .
i am also want to know difference between xeon and RISC/EPIC

More about : xeon risc

a c 131 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 4:03:57 PM

RISC is a CPU design idea. EPIC is even more basic from a long time ago. Same kinda deal.

The Xeon is an intel brand of processors.

you will be wanting to do more research. Also, it seems you are in a professional environment, based on the amount of data growth (in GB!) and the applications you use.. I suggest instead of posting online and getting answers from anonymous users, you hire a professional for you company.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 4:05:35 PM

You need to talk to a few 'proper' system suppliers, i'd imagine a very fast set of disks, disks in raid5/6 or 1+5/6 large amounts of RAM, not sure about the processor.

Can you use a cloud service, I assume that the 400Gb/year is about 1-2Gb per day, if you clouded it, they could do all the 'work' on analysis, and you could just look at the analysis. I say cloud as this is mainframe territory, and cloud has kind of replaced that, would also get rid of the redundant hardware issues etc.
m
l
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 4:11:40 PM

13thmonkey said:
Can you use a cloud service, I assume that the 400Gb/year is about 1-2Gb per day, if you clouded it, they could do all the 'work' on analysis, and you could just look at the analysis. I say cloud as this is mainframe territory, and cloud has kind of replaced that, would also get rid of the redundant hardware issues etc.

By "cloud" do you mean a network of servers?
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 4:15:14 PM

I suppose that they are a network of servers, but you pay per use not for the hardware and if accessedvia client session then there is never any need to pass huge amounts of data down to the user, just the image of the results, if that data file if required locally then send it.

I'm also confused about what the difference is between a cloud solution and a hosted solution, think that cloud might be just the latest marketing term
m
l
September 24, 2010 11:27:44 AM

i want to know difference between xeon and RISC/EPIC base server by their usage
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
September 24, 2010 4:03:16 PM

school project?
m
l
October 1, 2010 4:05:06 AM