Sign in with
Your question

Trading/Gaming PC Advice

Last response: in Systems
July 21, 2010 8:33:18 PM

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on the parts I've chosen over the last few days for my first build. I've never been a hardcore gaming enthusiast, but I'm interested in games like the Tomb Raider series or maybe Tiger Woods Golf.

Currently, I'm using a hacked up Compaq Presario I've had forever. The cheap-o GPUs I installed were simply for my multiple monitors, as I wasn't interested in gaming at the time. Now, however, my system goes nuts playing Flash videos. I tried playing a newer Tomb Raider game, and the video lagged about 20 seconds behind the sound, so I figured I'd just scrap the P.O.S. I have now and start from scratch.

The most important factor is my four (4) monitors. I have three (3) 19" LCDs and one (1) 23" widescreen LCD. The 19"ers are for my trading software, and my 23" is for watching financial news via my Tv Tuner card.

Here we go ...

Budget Range: $600-700 after rebates.

System Usage From Most To Least Important: Trading, Gaming / Watching Movies, Surfing the net (YouTube), some movie editing (converting dvd/mpeg to avi for storage).

Parts Not Required: Monitors, Speakers, Keyboard, Mouse, etc. I'm also re-cycling an Intel Pentium D 2.8Ghz from an old Vaio as well as an old Tv Tuner card. While the two (2) GPUs I chose each take up two (2) expansion slots, I should have just enough room left over on the mainboard to squeeze my Tv Tuner card in the last PCI slot.

Preferred Websites For Parts: Wherever is cheapest. I priced all my parts at Newegg though.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: None really.

Overclocking: I'm hoping to, but first I have to figure out how lol.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes. I've chosen CrossFireX due to the Radeon's I've picked out, but I have no preference for them over Nvidia.

Monitor Resolution: My three (3) 19" LCDs are at 1280 x 1024. My 23" LCD isn't working at the moment, due to one of the cheap-o GPUs I installed doesn't support the correct DirectX version (according to some Windows 7 error I recall). I think I usually have it set at 1920 x 1080.

Additional Comments: I think I covered everything in the preamble.

I've browsed this forum a lot over the last few days and learned a lot (compared to what I knew beforehand lol). These are the parts I came up with ...

Case: Thermaltake Armor A90 Black Gaming Mid-Tower Chassis Case $69.99 after rebate.

PSU: hec X-Power Pro 650 650W $44.99 + s/h

Mainboard: ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX $104.99 after $20 MIR -- This was (I think) the best board I could find that would support my old Vaio CPU and CrossFireX (for the price). It also supports newer CPUs so I can upgrade later, or get a newer one if this old one is fried. lol

CPU Cooling: CoolIT SYSTEMS ECO-R120 Advanced Liquid Cooling $75

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA $75 -- This is for storage. I'm re-cycling an old 160GB 7200 RPM SATA for the OS. I also have (2)x250GB 7200 RPM SATA's that I'm converting to external. I also have an external 160GB. No idea what I'm going to do with all the externals lol.

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $38 (x2) -- I wanted to recycle my five (5) GB of DDR2 533mhz ram but I couldn't find a mainboard that would work (I needed CrossFireX and Pentium D 820 support).

DVD: Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R $19.99 -- My Old ones are all IDE.

Floppy: Nippon Labs Delux Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal $13 -- Good for Bios updates, no?

GPU: HIS H467QR1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB $75 after MIR -- Getting two (2) of these. Found these ones while browsing the forum.

CrossFire Bridge: HIS CrossFire Bridge Interconnect Cable $17 -- Only need one, right? lol

That's pretty much it. I'm thinking about getting a printer and a few other accessories, but I won't include those here.

The total comes to about $650 the way I have it here. I'm mostly concerned with compatibility problems, especially regarding the mainboard and PSU connections. Everything seemed to have enough plugs/connectors, but I'm a newbie. Any/all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

More about : trading gaming advice

a b 4 Gaming
July 21, 2010 8:44:20 PM

There's so much wrong with your upgrade path i don't no where to start.
Just build an entirely new AMD based rig and save your old pc for back-up and basic internet activities.
I'll let one of our resident experts respond to exactly what you should build.
July 21, 2010 8:52:14 PM

davcon said:
There's so much wrong with your upgrade path i don't no where to start.
Just build an entirely new AMD based rig and save your old pc for back-up and basic internet activities.
I'll let one of our resident experts respond to exactly what you should build.

Damn lol What am I doing wrong? Just the whole idea of trying to re-cycle my old Pentium D? I was going to go for an AMD mainboard/cpu combo, but I wasn't sure which one would be comparable. Plus, there's the price to consider.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
July 21, 2010 8:52:45 PM

That's pretty horrible. The LGA775 socket is a dead socket. Don't sink any more money into it. DDR2 is also dead. You picked a POS PSU, an amazing waste of money in a CPU cooler, and a worthless floppy drive (nothing uses them any more). You also are spending way too much on a case. Finally, you picked a horrible GPU that won't play any games. Really, about the only thing you got right was the HDD.

Here's a better build:

CPU/GPU: X3 440 and HD 5770 $212 after rebate Run three monitors off of the GPU, but you'll need to turn them off when you play games.
Mobo: ASUS M4A88T-M $90. Run the fourth monitor off the motherboard's onboard graphics.
RAM: GeIL 2x2 GB 1333 mhz CAS Latency 9 $80
Case/HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB and Thermaltake V9 $125 after rebate
Optical/PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W and cheap SATA DVD burner $45 after rebate

Total: $547
a b 4 Gaming
July 21, 2010 9:10:01 PM

^+1 nice one MadAdmiral you just saved DejaBlu from an epic fail !
July 21, 2010 9:11:48 PM

MadAdmiral said:
That's pretty horrible. The LGA775 socket is a dead socket. Don't sink any more money into it. DDR2 is also dead. You picked a POS PSU, an amazing waste of money in a CPU cooler, and a worthless floppy drive (nothing uses them any more). You also are spending way too much on a case. Finally, you picked a horrible GPU that won't play any games. Really, about the only thing you got right was the HDD.

Here's a better build:

CPU/GPU: X3 440 and HD 5770 $212 after rebate Run three monitors off of the GPU, but you'll need to turn them off when you play games.
Mobo: ASUS M4A88T-M $90. Run the fourth monitor off the motherboard's onboard graphics.
RAM: GeIL 2x2 GB 1333 mhz CAS Latency 9 $80
Case/HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB and Thermaltake V9 $125 after rebate
Optical/PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W and cheap SATA DVD burner $45 after rebate

Total: $547

Wow lol. Here I thought I had chosen semi-well. I really like your selection. A question though ... will I have to play games off the onboard graphics? Not sure what you mean "turn them off when you play games".

Thanks again for your help.
July 21, 2010 9:17:40 PM

^+1
I don't want my msg to just be the "^+1" so I'm going to add this statement in.

edit: the +1 is for MA's build, I just didn't refresh the page before responding after opening it up a while ago as a new tab :o 
a b 4 Gaming
July 21, 2010 9:19:44 PM

The system he recommended has a discrete gpu the ATI 5770 which is a higher end mid-range graphics card.
He is just pointing out your options if you decide to use more then one monitor.
For full acceleration it's best to play your games on that system on your best monitor for best results.
July 21, 2010 9:25:25 PM

davcon said:
The system he recommended has a discrete gpu the ATI 5770 which is a higher end mid-range graphics card.
He is just pointing out your options if you decide to use more then one monitor.
For full acceleration it's best to play your games on that system on your best monitor for best results.

I see. Thanks for clarifying.

It seems I have a lot more research to do before I begin purchasing lol.
!