Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bios recognizes memory but the system does not

Last response: in Memory
May 4, 2011 10:40:14 PM

I recently upgraded my desktop computer having Intel Motherboard 915 GAG by adding 2 modules of 512 MB each. I formerly had one module of 512 MB installed. The BIOS showed al the 3 modules but on starting the Operating System, Windows XP, SP 3 I found that only 512 MB was showing in the Systems. Despite trying to play around with the 3 modules in the 4 slots of the motherboard no improvement was found. Where is the problem? Please suggest remedial measures.
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2011 1:03:46 AM

have you checked the manual if it supports three memory sticks?

usually you use 1, 2, or 4 memory sticks; therefore, have you tried to only use two memory sticks? Check if slot 1+3 and 2+4, or 1+2 and 3+4 are used when using two sticks.
m
l
May 5, 2011 1:48:19 AM

Hi Emerald,

I have checked. The motherboard says nothing about 3 Memory sticks. I have tried all combinations of sticks & slots. The result is the same.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

arby182
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2011 2:32:44 AM

according to the manual you can use three memory sticks; however, the motherboard will only accept 2.5V memory sticks.

what model memory sticks did you buy?

check your memory sticks Voltage requirements. Some need 2.6V or 2.75V

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15197/eng/D915GAV_D915G...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2011 4:02:08 AM

Also, did you check Windows for any memory switches enabled? It may have a switch to limit RAM to 512MB for some reason.
m
l
May 5, 2011 6:36:48 PM

Emerald said:
according to the manual you can use three memory sticks; however, the motherboard will only accept 2.5V memory sticks.

what model memory sticks did you buy?

check your memory sticks Voltage requirements. Some need 2.6V or 2.75V

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15197/eng/D915GAV_D915G...

Thank you once again for your response.
The original Memory stick was a Infineon make 512 MB, DDR, PC 2700, 184 pin, 2.5 Volt. The ones I had bought were a matched pair from ebay (used) by Elixir - 512 MB each, DDR 333 MHz, PC 2700, 184 pin, 2.5 V. Only the makes were different but the specs were identical.
m
l
May 5, 2011 6:58:08 PM

darkguset said:
Also, did you check Windows for any memory switches enabled? It may have a switch to limit RAM to 512MB for some reason.

In the manual I didn't come across any switch to limit the memory to 512 MB. However, your question triggers my memory to recall that when I had installed the 2 Memory sticks of 512 MB each (matched) bought from ebay (used) I was having a problem in booting up the computer. After playing about with the 3 sticks in the 4 slots I got the computer to boot up and in both the bios & system I could see about 1.5 gig as memory. This was about 5 to 6 months back and my computer was running faster. Over the last couple of months I was facing a drop in speed and was wondering what had happened. I suddenly noticed that my Memory was showing only 512 MB. I did all kinds of combinations between the sticks and the slots but the result was the same 512 MB. Strangely though with any one stick I get 480 MB but with 2 or 3 I still get 512 MB.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2011 11:13:44 PM

The switch is not going to be in the manual. When I say switch I mean software switch, a parametre in the boot.ini of Windows that tells it how much memory to use. But with your latest description it sounds like your motherboard may be the problem. I would try to upgrade to the latest BIOS, then visually inspect the motherboard for any blow capacitors or any other damage. It is much more likely that the motherboard is faulty rather than the RAM sticks.
m
l
May 5, 2011 11:27:26 PM

It may be due to different MHZ of memory. Some motherboard does not support different MHZ, Some support. In some cases there is an option in BIOS. :hello: 
m
l
May 6, 2011 4:42:04 PM

darkguset said:
The switch is not going to be in the manual. When I say switch I mean software switch, a parametre in the boot.ini of Windows that tells it how much memory to use. But with your latest description it sounds like your motherboard may be the problem. I would try to upgrade to the latest BIOS, then visually inspect the motherboard for any blow capacitors or any other damage. It is much more likely that the motherboard is faulty rather than the RAM sticks.

Thanks a lot for your diagnosis & help. According to your suggestion I will try to flash the bios to the latest version. If that does not help I guess I will have to discard the Motherboard because I am not that competant as to locate the blown capacitor and replace it.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2011 1:08:25 AM

Just to make sure... how do you know exactly that your Windows is not seeing the whole memory and only sees 512MB? Do the following please:

Open Task Manager by ctrl+shift+Esc, then go to tab Performance and look where it says "Physical Memory (K)" and read the Total.
m
l
May 9, 2011 3:26:14 PM

Hi,
Thanks once again. I had flashed the bios with no improvement.
"Physical Memory (K)" reads 523824. I guess I will have to scrap the motherboard.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2011 1:43:25 AM

Before you scrap the motherboard I would try one more thing. Why don't you download and boot off a Linux Live CD and check the memory in there. It is free to download and the Live means you don't need to install anything.

If Linux can see all your memory but Windows can't, then it is a problem with Windows and you can keep your motherboard and computer if you want to and perhaps need to reinstall Windows.
May 11, 2011 7:14:02 PM

darkguset said:
Before you scrap the motherboard I would try one more thing. Why don't you download and boot off a Linux Live CD and check the memory in there. It is free to download and the Live means you don't need to install anything.

If Linux can see all your memory but Windows can't, then it is a problem with Windows and you can keep your motherboard and computer if you want to and perhaps need to reinstall Windows.

Gosh, you are right. Strange, my Windows XP appears to be the problem. I downloaded the Linux Live CD and did a boot with the disk in the DVD drive. The memory showed 1483 MB. So the Motherboard & the memory sticks are all right. I say "strange" because I have the same Windows XP installed on another desktop and that righly shows 2.0 GB RAM. How come ? Anyway, thanks a lot. You have taught me something.

In the meanwhile I had become so frustrated with the slowness of my computer that I bought a new Motherboard from ebay yesterday before receiving your letter. This new Intel Motherboard is somewhat similar to my existing one so that I do not have to change my Processor & the Memory sticks. I will sell the old Motherboard after the new one arrives. What operating system would you recommend ?

Thanks profusely again.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2011 1:47:39 AM

I have been using Windows 7 for the last 8 months and I am very happy. It is a little more demanding than XP in sense of hardware if you want all the bits and pieces to make it beautiful (Aero, etc), but it is more responsive in general and more multithreaded capable. If you have a multicore processor I would recommend it.
Mind you, if you are a gamer, make sure your games will be compatible with W7 before you make the jump. I am dual booting into XP and W7 (W7 being my main OS) so I can run all my games with no problems.
m
l
May 13, 2011 2:36:15 AM

darkguset said:
I have been using Windows 7 for the last 8 months and I am very happy. It is a little more demanding than XP in sense of hardware if you want all the bits and pieces to make it beautiful (Aero, etc), but it is more responsive in general and more multithreaded capable. If you have a multicore processor I would recommend it.
Mind you, if you are a gamer, make sure your games will be compatible with W7 before you make the jump. I am dual booting into XP and W7 (W7 being my main OS) so I can run all my games with no problems.

I have a single core processor and would prefer to remain with Windows XP. Fortunately I have another CD of Windows XP which I will try out. But, I am happy that my existing Motherboard & Memory sticks are all right. I will use the new Motherboard from ebay & will sell the old one. Thanks for your suggestion once again. I appreciate your help and have learnt something from you.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2011 8:14:39 AM

No problem my friend. Enjoy your "new" system :) 
m
l
May 22, 2011 1:19:30 AM

Best answer selected by arby182.
m
l
!