meat_popsiclez

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Was just about to hit the submit button on a sandybridge build at newegg, when I heard that z68 boards will (may?) be dropping on the 11th.

Curious if anybody has any info on matx z68 boards yet. quicksync is really a feature that I could use, but I'm not going to delay a month just to wait for it. I'm sure they're coming, but I'm impatient.

Was going for an asus p8p67-m pro, 2500k, 16gb ddr3 1600, and a gtx 560ti. A second 560ti might shore up the gpu front at a later date, so sli is a must.

Thanks for any enlightenment you might lay on me

alecela

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008

I'm literally on the same boat, except I'm leaning toward the 6950.

Back to your question, if you search around the net, you'll see various spy photos of m-atx Z68 boards. Obviously this is not official but if we were to draw the clues from the current market, it makes perfect sense to have Z68 m-atx motherboard given the built-in display. Looking at the amount of m-atx H67 motherboard being offered, I'll be surprised if manufacturer are not jumping all over Z68 with their offerings.

Still waiting to see how the Z68 would fair. I'm under the impression that the quick sync would work well even with a discrete display card installed and hopefully there will be a Rampage III Gene equivalent of Z68 m-atx motherboard that would gives us the best of EVERYTHING! :)

RSDNathan

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011

Both you guys, May 11th isn't next month. That's next wednesday!

If quicksync is useful to you, wait to May 11 and see what gives with Z68. The ssd boost is also intriguing if you do not already have a ssd.

I use a asus p8p67-m pro, and am pleased with it. Even though it has sli capabilities, I would try to avoid it. There will be no separation between dual cards, so one will run very hot. If a future graphics update is needed, better plan on selling the old card, and replacing it with a new. With a GTX580 or GTX590 available, that should be enough. That upgrade plan will expand your motherboard options.

alecela

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008

Yes, I can't wait. Haven't been this excited about a new product for a long time now... :)

asha77

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

here some z68 micro-atx that should be available around may 11th

ASRock Z68 Pro3-M
MSI Z68MA-ED55

not sure about ASUS and Gigabyte though and since you need quicksync just look out for Z68 boards with DVI/VGA/HDMI/Displayport output because Gigabyte for example gonna release a lot of Z68 boards without them and you cant use quicksync (also those boards wont come with a lucid virtu license).

-regards

P.S.

found another micro-atx board that may come with video output not sure though and no pictures released yet

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 (I think the 'H' here stands for video output)

meat_popsiclez

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

That z68ma-ed55 looks like an awesome board! Hoping the price point isn't going to be ridiculous. Only drawback (also benefit) is that the second pci-e x16 slot is the last slot, meaning a gpu with a dual slot cooler (99.99% of the norm these days) will not work in a standard matx case (4 expansion slots, needs five)... so I've mixed up my build a little and will now be using an lian li pc-a05nb instead of the centurion 541 I was going to use, so much for needing it to be matx. I'd still rather have an matx mobo as long as I'm not sacrificing too much, for future flexibility, and it looks like that board would do me rather well.