• CPUs
  • Intel i5
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2010 12:19:58 PM

Hi Guys . i was looking for a great CPU for my rig . i am using i5 CPU & ATI 5850 ... so need something great ...but stuck in too choose from which brand . SO PLEASE LIST the BEST BRANDS ... atleast 5 BRANDS please.

More about : ist psus

a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2010 1:22:01 PM

corsair
seasonic
pc powe&cooling
antec
nzxt
some silverstone
some fsp

some to definitely avoid (this is far from extensive)
raiidmax
okia
logisys
linkworld
anything
rocketfish/huntkey
dynex
m
l
September 22, 2010 1:36:53 PM

Huntkey is an OK brand, ran my GTX 470 perfectly fine for a while and is running a GTX 465 to this day without a hitch.

Personally I think people pay too much attention to the maker of a PSU. ALL psu's have been tested to the stated wattage and tested under certain loaded circumstances to allow them to developed what they state on the side of the PSU Unit.

People say don't go for this, that and the other, when personally ive used cheap PSU's for years, ranging from Yakumza to Huntkey to PowerX to my latest Coolermaster with absolutely no problems what so ever.

I just cant see the point in buying a £130approx Corsair 750w PSU when for half the price and the same/more warranty I can get a 750W Coolermaster.

Even the Huntkey 650W cost me £45 and is still doing its job perfectly well..
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2010 1:42:22 PM

ioftn usejunk power supplies. but its not really good to recommend a cheapo psu unless there is a reliable review of it, and sometimes the labels are total lies.
see this:
http://hardwareaware.com/review/linkworld-430w/
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2010 2:07:33 PM

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty (in the USA). Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the newer Antec power supplies.
m
l
September 22, 2010 3:07:19 PM

Running a cheap PSU is like gambling with your entire system.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2010 4:59:45 PM

corsair
seasonic
pc powe&cooling not any more
antec
nzxt
some silverstone
some fsp

then we add

xfx
enermax
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
a c 172 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 6:15:34 PM

Coolmax goes on the second list - unless you derate it by about 100 watts, and then do not put any heavy demands on it.
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2010 6:21:47 PM

what do you think about Green or Coller master ? what about SILVERSTONE ?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2010 7:43:20 PM

as i said, some silverstones are good. what model? look for a review...

@obsidian86- do pc p&c psus suck now? i thought they were good!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2010 7:47:38 PM

rant: oh i hate this is so stupid jonnyguru.com is blocked at school. and i really wanted to read that 750w tt review he just did! dammit!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 158 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 7:53:35 PM

I've had excellent results with two Termaltake Black Widow units, a 650w and a 850w. Both have cable management.

I've also had excellent results from Corsair.

Unlike others, my Antec experiences have not been good. My last Antec died emitting a wonderful burnt smell and Antec wont cover it because I cant find my receipt and the unit has a manufactured date within the 5 yr warranty and in fact when it died none of the units could be out of warranty, production only started 2 years prior.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 158 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 7:55:26 PM

shovenose said:

PC&C were bought out by OCz if I remember right
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2010 8:22:39 PM

shovenose said:

not as good as they used to be the older pc p&c were built by seasonic the mark II line's are built by sirfa,they are more like modified ocz gold power supplies they are ok but not worth the price anymore
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2010 8:43:57 PM

in order of best to worst

1 Corsair
2 NZXT
3 OCZ
4 Seasonic
5 thermaltake

side note avoid anything that says antec people have mixed reviews on em and its spotty some models are excellent supposedly others fry systems... not a gamble i'd take
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2010 9:12:41 PM

g00fysmiley said:
in order of best to worst

1 Corsair
2 NZXT
3 OCZ
4 Seasonic
5 thermaltake

side note avoid anything that says antec people have mixed reviews on em and its spotty some models are excellent supposedly others fry systems... not a gamble i'd take

if you want the best of the best of the best

1.zippy emacs
2.seasonic
3.enermax
4.corsair
5.antec(most are good cept the bp series under 500 watts)

seasonic whips a lot of brands considering the antec 520/620 eco antec true power,corsair ax models from 400 till 1000 watts cx 400 cx430 tx650 are all made by seasonic

enermax have some of the best units over 850 watts

zippy isn't as efficient as the others but i think their power supplies are the most likely to survive the apocolypse
m
l
!