Dual screen display with MSI 785GTM-E45 (ATI Radeon HD4200)

phood

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
First of all, as a newbie in this forum, let me say hi to everyone.

My new computer has a MSI 785GTM-E45 motherboard with an ATI Radeon HD4200 onboard graphic subsystem.

This motherboard has 3 video outputs : VGA, DVI and HDMI. Here's a look at the back panel : http://www.hardware-addict.com/Images/Products/Base/Mainboard/MSI/MSI%20785GTM-E45%203.jpg

My OS is WINDOWS 7.

Lately, I've purchased 2 monitors. Each of them has 2 video inputs : VGA and DVI.

My very one goal is to get a dual-screen desktop.

The problem here is that only the VGA-plugged monitor lights on. The DVI-plugged one does not get recognized at all. Don't worry, the cable is a DVI-D Dual-Link cable so we should look elsewhere...

I've tried to detect de DVI-plugged monitor by accessing the WINDOWS control panel. No dectection...

I've also tried via the ATI Catalyst Control Center. No luck...

THE ULTIMATE QUESTION HERE IS : Is this motherboard capable of simultaneously displaying 3 sources through the VGA, DVI and HDMI video outputs? Or at least 2 monitors simultaneously? (as a dual-screen display would be enough for my needs).

If you know the answer, please help me!

Thank you

gexgeko

Distinguished
May 5, 2011

I will let you know in a few weeks as i'm getting this board soon, however i'm sure it will output dual monitors by one vga and one either hdmi or DVI but not using both hdmi and dvi.

phood

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
thanks much gexgeko.

Meanwhile I'll try my best at getting my monitors work.

I'll let you know if I succeed before you try the dual-screen feature on this motherboard (which is a good one by the way).

adamvaldez

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Hi,

I would like to suggest you refer to the MSI website to update the BIOS and the hardware drivers. This is certainly a Driver or operating system problem. Your Motherboard can support dual monitors.

If you go into the BIOS and look where the on board graphics is, see if it's on "auto"..... or is it just pointing to the vga ?..... not saying auto will allow 2 monitors, each with different connectors, but if it's only pointing to one thing in the bios, that's all it will see.

phood

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

After updating the BIOS and the hardware drivers, I must come to the conclusion that it is an OS problem. The AMD VISION ENGINE CONTROL CENTER does now see my second monitor but not perfectly as no display is showing on screen.

It is getting more and more frustrating!

phood

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

What is Hybrid Crossfire ?