Sign in with
Your question

Raid

Last response: in Storage
September 30, 2012 3:35:51 AM

Does the Asus Crosshair V Formula have a built in Raid controller? I want to set up a Raid array, but don't want to use software Raid.

More about : raid

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b G Storage
September 30, 2012 3:45:10 AM

Like almost all motherboards it is supported by the chipset. there no real reason for a consumer to use raid however
m
l
a b G Storage
September 30, 2012 3:52:20 AM

There are cheap hardware raid controllers out there. But are they worth it? Prolly not. In the end, the speed gains are trivial unless you get a enterprise raid card with a 10 drive setup =P In which in that case ur buying it for the hot swappable capabilities, auto repair etc etc.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 30, 2012 3:52:22 AM

unless you purchase a dedicated RAID Controller, it's software RAID

unless it's a workstation or server board (perhaps)
m
l
September 30, 2012 4:04:16 AM

After looking at raid controllers I think I my try a Raid 10 array. I feel more comfortable with the mirror, but want the perfomance also. So Raid 10 sounds like the best of both worlds. Any tips out there, I am new to Raid.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 30, 2012 4:06:08 AM

why do you want to set up a RAID in the first place? just to tinker and learn, or for a specific performance boost for specific industry software? like CAD or Video Editing or 3D Modeling
m
l
September 30, 2012 4:16:16 AM

dingo07 said:
why do you want to set up a RAID in the first place? just to tinker and learn, or for a specific performance boost for specific industry software? like CAD or Video Editing or 3D Modeling

Mainly to tinker and learn, but the perfomance boost would be nice. I also like the extra data secuity of the mirroring.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 30, 2012 4:33:47 AM

I suggest a RAID 5 then - but to implement you need a min of 3 drives (which leaves no room for a drive failure). With 4 drives you can have a hot swap soif one drive fails, data is restored immediately on the hot spare and you essentially have no down-time
m
l
September 30, 2012 6:16:58 AM

dingo07 said:
I suggest a RAID 5 then - but to implement you need a min of 3 drives (which leaves no room for a drive failure). With 4 drives you can have a hot swap soif one drive fails, data is restored immediately on the hot spare and you essentially have no down-time

RAID 6 > RAID 5, but there are arguments to be had for RAID 10. Theoretically RAID 10 has no downtime if your cards are right and also has less I/O overhead, but at the same time RAID6 provides piece of mind in that sense.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 5, 2012 8:44:04 PM

These RAID are not enterprise level by any mean.
But it is a perfect fit for NAS, SOHO or Video/Audio/Photo Studio where simplicity and transfer rate of 230~250MB/s required.

The actual rebuilt rate of my clients raid (most of them 5x 2TB Hitachi drives RAID5 - 10TB RAW), it takes 7~7:30 hrs to complete rebuilt

This rebuilt rate is kick-a.s.s. compare to HPT card 23xx, 27xx series, where they takes days to rebuilt. You can search these issue in this forum.

Using this for DIY NAS, your NAS will be top-dog, because there is NO commercial 4~5 bay NAS out there can rebuilt this fast.

So for what is worth, it is a MOST cost effective raid controller for 4~8 drives out there.

BTW, I did use 2x of the controller and create a RAID50 (RAID 0 base on OS).. the speed is 450~475MB/s plug to TWO SATA ports

That is pretty cool!

One thing I wish, that the controller have an 8 drives VERSION instead. iT would be perfect for

m
l
!