Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends. How much money are you hoping to spend? What expansion slots do you need? How many hard drives? What kind of USB/Firewire/esata support do you need? Do you need support for SLI/crossfire? What type of memory are you looking to purchase (DDR2 or DDR3)?

I'd been looking for a new avatar for close to 2 months and finally found one I liked, I've had the Eagle Avatar since right after 9/11 and it was time for a change. Thanks for your compliment!

Totally Agree !

Since those details were left out, I recommended the M/B I'm presently running with my 965BE, which would be a total useless suggestion if he is intending a crossfire setup, he also didn't mention if he had any overclocking intentions.

jheck

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010

saint19,

I'm not worried about the pricing, just want something that can use the latest memory and 2 sli video cards. I am looking to build a computer that will be good for a couple of years.

That SLI is something very important you forgot to mention. Most AMD motherboards today have an AMD northbridge, which means crossfire but no SLI.

You will be hard pressed to find an SLI compatible motherboard with AM3 socket but they are out there. Perhaps someone with more experience with them could point you in the right direction.

What GPUs do u have in mind? Since u want SLI u need a mobo with nVidia chipset or hack the mobo with AMD chipset for support the SLI that u want.

In SLI mode I prefer go with Intel since has better mobo options.

If you want to make this future proof, DO NOT build now. Wait until at least Sandy Bridge comes out. HOWEVER, if you DO need a new system ASAP, get a cheap AM3 board, Athlon II X2/X3 and a good set of DDR3. Once SB/BD comes out, you can swap out the board + CPU and use either BD or SB. If you live near a Microcenter, you can usually get a AM3 based MSI/BIOSTAR board free if you buy a Athlon II X4 or some other combo.

The MSI 890FXA-GD70 REALLY makes my mouth water. That's the best AM3 mobo out there right now. However, from a value standpoint, it's almost impossible in all cases to beat ASRock, like the ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 for $150 or the ASRock 890FX Deluxe4 with THX sound for $160.

Status
Not open for further replies.