Is MB causing bad HD's?

Thumb

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005
I have a computer that locked up and I had to do a manual shutdown then the computer would not boot. I've played around with it for a day and nothing works. Tried to reformat and install XP Home and during the format stage, I get an error saying that the HD is damaged. So I installed a new HD and the same thing happened, I could not format it and got the error again that it was damaged. Ok, I'm thinking something is not right here so I installed another brand new HD and the same thing happened again.

I've replaced the cables(SATA) and the IDE cable to the CD/DVD unit and still no luck so I'm thinking that the Motherboard or CPU may have a glitch. Has anyone ever seen this problem before? I've seen all kinds of things but never like this in 30 years.

Forgot to list my setup:
Windows XP Home SP3
Intel Pentium D Dual Core
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
Corsair 2GB matched DDR2 memory
WD 320GB Sata HD
Thermaltake 450W PSU.

Thumb

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005
Could be the MB. I've already installed the OS on another computer using the same CD so it's not that plus I've tried 2 other disk recovery programs and they gave me the same error. I guess I could build a new box and use the old parts as backups.

Thumb

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005
Just a quick update, I built a new box with a new MB and CPU but used all the other components from the bad box and everything is up and running so for sure the problem lies within the MB or CPU. What exactly it is is still unknown.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Probably academic, but with the old system, with he CPU, Video Card, and RAM attached (no HDD or CD), start the system. if you don't get any error beeps, just a message on the screen stating [non system disk or disk error], you know the CPU is OK.

Or, you could take the CPU down to a local shop and have them put it in one of their test boards and make sure it boots up OK. But that's probably a waste of a few dollars if you try the first idea.