Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

USB 3.0 Transfer Speeds Issue

Last response: in Storage
Share
September 30, 2012 5:00:33 AM

Hi,

I have an issue with my USB 3.0 transfer speeds, currently I am only getting 3.5-4.5MB write speeds and 18-20MB read speeds via USB3.0 both off the back of my MB and also via the Front USB3.0 Box that came with MB.

So far I have tested the transfer rates with about 5 diff USB sticks and 2 x USB3.0 External HDD, I also have another 2 computers in the house which from quick testing provide transfer speeds of 80-100MB read speeds and 200-400MB write speeds via USB3.0 with these enternal hard drives.

System Specs :
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
Asus P8Z68 Deluxe MB
2600K CPU
8GB Ripjaws DDR3 Ram
OCZ Vertex 2 128GB SSD
Radeon 6990 Graphics

I have so far updated to the latest BIOS and confirmed all USB 3.0 options are enabled, updated all drivers etc and checked to make sure there are no device conflicts.

Am I missing something here? My MB should be providing much higher transfer rates via USB3.0 and the externals have proven to be fast on other computers.

Any help here would be appreciated.
a c 87 G Storage
September 30, 2012 5:10:56 AM

Nate80 said:
Hi,

I have an issue with my USB 3.0 transfer speeds, currently I am only getting 3.5-4.5MB write speeds and 18-20MB read speeds via USB3.0 both off the back of my MB and also via the Front USB3.0 Box that came with MB.

So far I have tested the transfer rates with about 5 diff USB sticks and 2 x USB3.0 External HDD, I also have another 2 computers in the house which from quick testing provide transfer speeds of 80-100MB read speeds and 200-400MB write speeds via USB3.0 with these enternal hard drives.

System Specs :
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
Asus P8Z68 Deluxe MB
2600K CPU
8GB Ripjaws DDR3 Ram
OCZ Vertex 2 128GB SSD
Radeon 6990 Graphics

I have so far updated to the latest BIOS and confirmed all USB 3.0 options are enabled, updated all drivers etc and checked to make sure there are no device conflicts.

Am I missing something here? My MB should be providing much higher transfer rates via USB3.0 and the externals have proven to be fast on other computers.

Any help here would be appreciated.


The Intel 6 series motherboards don't have native USB 3.0, the Asus ones get it from an ASMedia 1041 USB 3.0 controller. It's pretty crappy but it gets the job done. What you will want to do is go to the link below and get the latest drivers and controller firmware. The controller firmware will need to be flashed from within MSDOS or FreeDOS

http://station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm
m
0
l
September 30, 2012 8:02:40 AM

The latest drivers show me having the following crontroller which is working :

Renesas(NEC) USB3.0 Controller Driver

Working on updating to the ones u mentioned but having issues getting bootable MSDOS USB sticks to actually boot up, dont know what the issue there is either.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 30, 2012 8:18:59 AM

Pinhedd said:
The Intel 6 series motherboards don't have native USB 3.0, the Asus ones get it from an ASMedia 1041 USB 3.0 controller. It's pretty crappy but it gets the job done. What you will want to do is go to the link below and get the latest drivers and controller firmware. The controller firmware will need to be flashed from within MSDOS or FreeDOS

http://station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm


Just double checking you are sure about the Motherboard? Every other P8Z68 MB uses the ASMedai controller but my P8Z68 Deluxe uses the Renesas(NEC) USB3.0 Controller Driver.

Cheers
m
0
l
a c 87 G Storage
September 30, 2012 5:33:46 PM

Nate80 said:
Just double checking you are sure about the Motherboard? Every other P8Z68 MB uses the ASMedai controller but my P8Z68 Deluxe uses the Renesas(NEC) USB3.0 Controller Driver.

Cheers


Oh yeah, the GEN3/REV3 use the ASMedia controller, the older ones use the NEC controller
m
0
l
October 1, 2012 3:03:51 AM

Guessing that means I have the right controller and drivers working, any other ideas on the slow transfer speeds?

Thinking a fresh install of Win 7 might do it, or a setting in Win is restricting it.

Cheers
m
0
l
a c 87 G Storage
October 1, 2012 3:15:07 AM

Nate80 said:
Guessing that means I have the right controller and drivers working, any other ideas on the slow transfer speeds?

Thinking a fresh install of Win 7 might do it, or a setting in Win is restricting it.

Cheers


I doubt it. Try a new Linux LiveCD and see what happens
m
0
l
!