Dell XPS Videocard upgrade

Hiya, My video card died I'm trying to get one that can handle wow and aion, but not too expensive. The power supply has been upgraded already. I was using the PNY Verto 9600 GSO( 6 pin) But I didnt care for it on both pcs it died in less then a year. So I am looking for one without a fan. Is that the best bet? And how do I know if I can use say ATI or other brands? any suggestions?
5 answers Last reply
More about dell videocard upgrade
  1. Oh and Im using a XPS 410. Everything is stock except the power supply upgrade.
  2. That powerful a card fan less is not a good option. You will be fine with ATI cards. What is the budget and what is the size of the PSU?
    Cards like 9800GT, GTS250, HD4850 and HD4770 are all bargained priced at the moment.
  3. well my stock card worked out fine until I started raiding and such and there was issues with tons of ppl and everyone said to up my video card. The geeks told me to get the one I mentioned above but the fan made all types of noise like the fan blade was not alliend right and one day it died so it was back to my stock Gforce 7300 LE. My power supply reads:
    DYNEX DX-400WPS
    Output watts: 400w +5w + 3.3v 120 w AC
    Input: 110/220v,60/50Hz.10/5a

As far as budget Im willing to save up for one just want one thats dependable and not gonna fry out in less then a year. Out of the ones u mentioned do u have a preference?
  4. oh....I ran across the noise test on youtube but whats it mean? just dont get a 4850 with a reference cooler. get one with a custom cooler
    Is that like put in a different fan? I really am clueless on this stuff :P
  5. This decent? I talked it over with my other half just need something cheap for now. Or is there somethin better for the 50- 60 buck price type range till we can get better.

Product Description MSI R5450-MD512H - graphics adapter - Radeon HD 5450 - 512 MB
    Device Type Graphics adapter
    Enclosure Type Plug-in card
    Interface Type PCI Express 2.1 x16
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 1.3 in x 6.6 in x 2.7 in
    Weight 7.5 oz
    Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Clock Speed 650 MHz
    RAMDAC Clock Speed 400 MHz
    API Supported DirectX 11, OpenGL 3.2
    Video Memory Installed ( Max ) 512 MB - GDDR3 SDRAM
    Video Output 2560 x 1600
    HDCP compatible Yes
    Microsoft Certification Compatible with Windows 7
    Compliant Standards RoHS
    General
    Device Type Graphics adapter
    Enclosure Type Plug-in card
    Interface Type PCI Express 2.1 x16
    Width 1.3 in
    Depth 6.6 in
    Height 2.7 in
    Weight 7.5 oz
    Processor / Memory
    Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Clock Speed 650 MHz
    RAMDAC Clock Speed 400 MHz
    Video Memory Installed 512 MB
    Technology GDDR3 SDRAM 64-bit
    Memory Clock Speed 1.6 GHz
    Features ATI Stream technology, Avivo Technology, Native HDMI, ATI Eyefinity Technology, MSI Solid Capacitor, ATI PowerPlay technology, Dynamic Overclocking Technology (D.O.T.) Express
    Video Output
    Max Resolution (external) 2560 x 1600
    API Supported DirectX 11, OpenGL 3.2
    Digital Video Standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI), High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
    HDCP compatible Yes
    Expansion / Connectivity
    Interfaces 1 x DVI-I (dual link) - 29 pin combined DVI
    1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
    1 x HDMI - 19 pin HDMI Type A
    Compatible Slots 1 x PCI Express 2.1 x16
    Miscellaneous
    Compatible with Windows 7 "Compatible with Windows 7" software and devices carry Microsoft’s assurance that these products have passed tests for compatibility and reliability with 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7.
    Compliant Standards RoHS
    Software / System Requirements
    Software Included Drivers & Utilities, Adobe Acrobat Reader, MSI Live Update Series, Microsoft DirectX, MSI Live, MSI VIVID, MSI Afterburner
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Dell Studio Xps World Of Warcraft Graphics