1st time build, 1st time poster here

Imrahil56

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Hi all. Looking for some feedback on my build. I'm buying it piece by piece over the next 6 or 7 months in the order that they are listed. Looking to build a good gaming rig. The parts bolded are already purchased. The components listed in italics are proposed, and may change as new technology develops. I am buying the mother board, processor and video card last, as those are the one in which technology develops fastest.

Case Cooler Master HAF 932

Power supply Ultra x4 750 Watt

Sound Card Creative Labs 70SB088600002 SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCIe Sound Card

DVD/DVR Samsung SH-S222A/BEBE DVDRW Drive

monitor Samsung 2233SW 22" Widescreen HD LCD Monitor

Heat sink Cooler Master V8 CPU Fan - Socket 1366/775/AM2/AM2+,1156, AM3 120mm Fan, Modular Aluminum Fins

Ethernet card Intel PRO/1000 PT Desktop Gigabit Adapter - 10/100/1000Mbps

Hard Drive Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 RPM, 32MB, SATA-300

RAM Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048MB), DHX

Mother board ASUS P6X58D Premium Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready,

CPU Intel BX80605I7875K Core i7 875K Processor - 2.93GHz, LGA 1156, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, Lynnfield, Retail, No Fan, Unlocked

Video Card EVGA 012-P3-1472-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) SuperClocked Video Card - 1280MB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, Dual DVI, HDMI, SLI,

wardy22

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Hi and welcome to the forums, I'm going to need to know a few things such as your budget and monitor resolution before i can make specific recommendations. check the sticky's here for the best way to ask for help. From what you have here everything is compatible, the only thing i would say is the sound card seems like something you probably don't need seeing as the motherboard has one built in and i would probably pick a different video card such as the Radeon 5850.

G

You won't need that sound card unless you plan on professional music production etc. Integrated sound is fine for listening to music, playing games etc. You won't notice the difference, even with high quality speakers. The monitor seems fine. You won't need that heatsink unless you plan on overclocking, but if you do it is a good choice. You don't need the Ethernet card as gigabit ethernet will be built into your motherboard. The Caviar Black is a "performance" drive which basically means it is a teeny-tiny bit faster than the Caviar Blue but is noiser and hotter. I'd just get the blue.

You've got a bit mixed up with your RAM, motherboard and CPU. Your CPU is a socker 1156 but your motherboard is a socket 1366. They are NOT compatible. You'll need to either change the motherboard to one which is socket 1156 or get a Core i7-9xx processor instead of that one. 1366/Core i7-9xx is the higher performance and more expensive route. If you choose to keep the CPU and change the motherboard, the RAM will also be incompatible (not completely incompatible, but a crazy choice and a total waste of money). You'll need to grab a 4GB (2x2GB) dual channel kit as 1156 uses dual channel memory. If you choose to upgrade the processor and go the 1366 route, you could keep the memory but I'm sure there are other cheaper 6GB (3x2GB) kits at 1600MHz which you could change to.
The graphics card looks good :)

Imrahil56

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Thx for the great feedback guys. These boards are awesome. So I want to keep the board and the high end ram, so I think I'll upgrade the processor to an I7 9XX series. Maybe a 930.

Is the sound chipset on that board that good that I wont need a better card? I have never trusted built in sound. I'm not opposed to saving money at all, and I'm sure you know way more than I do about it, but I like to be able to go in the sound card settings and tweak a bit. Will I be able to do that with integrated sound?

I see no full reviews on the Ultra X4 750W, although another X4 Ultra did test out well. I'm not very trusting of Ultra, although they were once a good company.

Ah I need a break, you already bought it. Hopefully it will work out just fine.... It's not junk, just better units out there at good prices.