Sign in with
Your question

I5 430M vs i3 330 vs Turion II M520

Last response: in CPUs
September 22, 2010 4:30:01 PM

I'm in the process of buying my first laptop and just like everything I do, I want to make so I make the right choice. I've read, re-read, researched and more, but i'm still not convinced what that right choice is?

These are the three laptops I'm torn between;

Toshiba Satellite L650-12P (Core i5 430M, 2GB DDR3, Mobile Intel GMA HD) £424

HP Pavilion dv6-2112sa (Turion II M520 Processor, 4GB DDR2, ATI Radeon HD 4200) £430

Acer Aspire 5741 (Core i3 330M, 4GB DDR3, Mobile Intel GMA HD) £448

The price differences are pretty negligible, so that's one problem out of the equation. I've no experience of how the components will work together. For instance;

Will the 2GB DDR3 RAM restrict the i5 processor?
Will I notice the difference between 4GB of DDR2 and 3GB of DDR3?
Will the M520 perform better than the Core i-series because of the separate gpu?

These are questions I don't know the answer to and I welcome any advice you can give me to help me reach the best decision.

More about : 430m 330 turion m520

a c 131 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 4:48:39 PM

Those aren't the questions you should be asking.

Tell us what you are going to use the computer for, then we will be able to tell you which one is better for you.

The Toshiba sports the fastest processor, but will be limited for anything that uses GPU acceleration. It is also limited in ram, which may or may not impede you depending on what you do.

The acer is limited in GPU but 3GB is enough for most things.

The acer is best at ram and GPU but the CPU is the least powerful.
September 22, 2010 4:59:23 PM

Nice points Enzo, thank you.

I'll be using the laptop for web browsing, burning and writing DVDs, photoshop, MS Office applications, playing music, watching movies/DVDs
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 6:05:06 PM

In that case, you don't need the advantages of the better graphics chip.

I would get the Acer. The extra 1GB of memory would be worthwhile for more intensive photoshop or if you intend to use a lot of those at the same time.

Another, slightly more expensive option, is to purchase the Toshiba, then upgrade the memory. You could get a 2GB chip for $50 and upgrade the memory to 3GB or 4GB, depending on the configuration of the chips when you get it (2x1GB or 1x2GB)
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2010 7:06:20 PM

enzo matrix said:
Another, slightly more expensive option, is to purchase the Toshiba, then upgrade the memory. You could get a 2GB chip for $50 and upgrade the memory to 3GB or 4GB, depending on the configuration of the chips when you get it (2x1GB or 1x2GB)

+1
September 23, 2010 7:05:36 AM

That was an option I was looking into.

I've not had experience upgrading memory before, but when I looked into it, I read it was necessary to have matching pairs. That would mean I'd have to buy two sticks of memory.

Have I been misinformed?
a c 131 à CPUs
September 23, 2010 1:22:30 PM

pweto said:
That was an option I was looking into.

I've not had experience upgrading memory before, but when I looked into it, I read it was necessary to have matching pairs. That would mean I'd have to buy two sticks of memory.

Have I been misinformed?

Yes and no. You don't "need" matching pairs. Matching pairs is to enable dual channel, which will increase performance. I'm not even sure if notebooks support dual channel. Either way, there should be no problem sticking in whatever ram you want.
September 23, 2010 2:43:33 PM

Thanks Enzo. I chose the Toshiba.

It does support dual channel and I want to take advantage of it, so I will upgrade.

There are two memory ports, but I don't know if the standard 2GB is split across them both or not. If it is, i'll purchase 2x2GB kit. However, if it only has 1 port in use, i'll just buy 1 x 2GB.

a c 131 à CPUs
September 23, 2010 5:42:58 PM

Sound like a plan to me. And you might be able to find someone to buy the old 2x1GB if that's the configuration.
!