Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is my graphics card holding back my system

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 22, 2010 4:49:42 PM

Hi, im am wondering if my system could esily be improved by upgrading my graphics card because i have had many comments saying it is a card holding back high graphics on games but the rest of my system is fine, here are my specs:

XFX GT240 1GB GDDR3
AMD Phenom II 955 BE stock
4GB DDR2 RAM @1066

thanks, moose.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 4:57:07 PM

yeah the graphics holding you back way back a good match for the 955 is a gtx 460 or ati 5830 but to max most games at 1080p a gtx 470 or 5850 or max just bout every game a gtx 480 or 5870
m
0
l
September 22, 2010 5:18:04 PM

you can always improve on gpu. first find out how much memory you need. you can tell that by what res you play. 1600 and 1900 range you can get by with 1gig of memory, anything higher I would get a card with 1.5gb or 2gb. there are two ways you can do video card setup. get two low-mid range cards(if your power, motherboard supports sli/crossfire) or get 1 high end video card. myself, i like getting two mid range cards and running them in sli. that way, if one ever goes bad i have an extra and i'm not out of action for 2-3 weeks.


I would read http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-450-rad... and find out what one is best for you :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 125 U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 5:46:24 PM

^ What obsidian said.

If you have a budget in mind we can suggest some viable options. I'd say a GTX 460 is a great option, SLI if your mobo and budget supports it. Two 5770s in CF (universal support) would also be a great option and cheaper. On the higher end of things, the GTX 470 has come down to 5850 prices so that'll give awesome bang for the buck, but then you need a pretty good PSU for it (650-750W, quality brand would give a little headroom)
m
0
l
September 22, 2010 6:32:21 PM

Thanks for the great responses it will take me a while to regain enough money for a new graphics card but its still to to know what my options are so thanks again. also could i run a 5850/GTX470 with a 600W psu?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 125 U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 7:12:39 PM

Most likely that would be ok, but since you have to wait to get the cash together, within a few months we'll have the 6xxx AMD Radeon cards released
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 8:02:28 PM

what name is that 600 watt psu?
m
0
l
September 25, 2010 7:52:42 PM

obsidian86 said:
what name is that 600 watt psu?


i cant remember the name exactly but it something close to ocz stealth Xtream 600W
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 25, 2010 11:05:57 PM

Well OCZ makes good PSU's IMO. With a 600watt from a good brand, you should be fine with one solid GPU.
m
0
l
September 26, 2010 12:21:18 AM

moosemaster said:
Hi, im am wondering if my system could esily be improved by upgrading my graphics card because i have had many comments saying it is a card holding back high graphics on games but the rest of my system is fine, here are my specs:

XFX GT240 1GB GDDR3
AMD Phenom II 955 BE stock
4GB DDR2 RAM @1066

thanks, moose.


You could try upgrading your RAM to DDR3 running @ 1333 MHz or 1600 MHz

moosemaster said:
Thanks for the great responses it will take me a while to regain enough money for a new graphics card but its still to to know what my options are so thanks again. also could i run a 5850/GTX470 with a 600W psu?


I would go with a 650 to be safe, look up Corsair 650TX, I got the 750TX myself

blackhawk1928 said:
Well OCZ makes good PSU's IMO. With a 600watt from a good brand, you should be fine with one solid GPU.


Im not a big fan of OCZ, Id go with Corsair

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2010 12:34:13 AM

Corsair is excellent, probably better, but OCZ makes solid psu's. My server has been running on a 500watt Stealthstream for a very long time and hasn't had any issues. Both computers that i've built for my grandparents have OCZ's in them running solid with no issues. Corsair probably takes the cake, but OCZ can be cheaper and still be good.
m
0
l
!