Sign in with
Your question

How to make a secondary drive my primary one (C)?

Last response: in Storage
September 30, 2012 10:28:06 AM

Hi everyone I' m in need of some advice. I have currently two HDDs plugged with 40 gigs(the original) and 500 gigs(I bought this some months ago) capacity. The 40 gig HDD is splitted into two, a 25 gig(system drive with OS) which is currently the C drive and a 15 gig (D drive), and the 500 gig HDD is the F drive. My question is: can I make the 500 gig my "primary" one where system info and the OS are stored and how? So as to have the 25 and 15 drives as secondary ones.
a c 317 G Storage
September 30, 2012 3:24:40 PM

Sure, but you will need to reinstall the OS and programs.
a c 104 G Storage
September 30, 2012 5:56:48 PM

Hi John,

One important consideration is making a backup of the 500GB partitions before you manipulate the partitions on that drive. Moving partitions can theoretically cause data loss if not done correctly.

You might take a look at EaseUS Partition Master Home edition. Here is the webiste to review and download. There is a user manual once it's installed to read or print out.

www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

You could then decrease the partition size of F: so that it is, say 400GB, with unallocated space at the beginning of the drive. Would do that with Partition Master.

Then you could clone the C: drive partition over to the unallocated space, at the front of the large HDD, which should carry over the boot, pagefile, and crashdump designations. May need to make it "Active" there. Also done with Partition Master. Then you would disconnect the small HDD, connect the large one to SATA_0, and it should boot up OK.

You wouldn't make any changes to the smaller drive until everything worked properly, so that you could always reconnect it as your boot drive if something went wrong.

Are you running Win-7 with a 100MB MSR partition as the first partition on the small drive? Or is the system, boot, pagefile, and crashdump designations all on the C: drive? Can see that in Disk Management. IF there is an MSR partition first, that has to be cloned over first to have the large drive have the bootManager and BCD files to boot properly.
Related resources
!