Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Good Thermal compound

Last response: in Components
September 22, 2010 5:21:09 PM

Hey gang,

Wanted to know what people are using these days for a Thermal Compound solution, i used to use Arctic Silver 5 but i see that people are using other better ones?

I will be building an i5 750 Rig soon and would love some feedback.

Not sure what i am going to go with for a Cooling solution yet for the i5 so suggestions are welcome for that as well...

Thanks, Jon-Paul

More about : good thermal compound

September 22, 2010 6:03:44 PM

I still use my AC7.
m
l

Best solution

September 22, 2010 6:08:01 PM

MX-2 here. But they've come out with the MX-3 and MX-4 now.

I've heard that diamond IC7 is really good but I have nothing to back that up since I haven't tried it.

Edit: TX-2 is something completely different. I meant the arctic cooling MX-2, which is also not thermally conductive.
Related resources
September 26, 2010 1:51:20 PM

jonpaul37 said:
Hey gang,

Wanted to know what people are using these days for a Thermal Compound solution, i used to use Arctic Silver 5 but i see that people are using other better ones?

I will be building an i5 750 Rig soon and would love some feedback.

Not sure what i am going to go with for a Cooling solution yet for the i5 so suggestions are welcome for that as well...

Thanks, Jon-Paul

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
m
l
September 27, 2010 1:11:58 AM

Aneesh@4GHz said:
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

It was good in it's day, but it is no longer the best/ compound of choice.
The MX-2 is actually a little better, plus has no cure time like the AS5.
m
l
October 1, 2010 1:41:47 PM

I found information praising TIM-Consultants 0098 paste. I ordered it from their web page. Later, after reading about their newest product, I called and changed my order to Quantum Thermal Compound. You can call and speak to Dave. He was very willing to explain the product - for just my $3.00 order. Order was sent out same day (yesterday) USPS.

http://www.tim-consultants.com/products.html
m
l
October 1, 2010 2:13:23 PM

johngeee said:
I found information praising TIM-Consultants 0098 paste. I ordered it from their web page. Later, after reading about their newest product, I called and changed my order to Quantum Thermal Compound. You can call and speak to Dave. He was very willing to explain the product - for just my $3.00 order. Order was sent out same day (yesterday) USPS.

http://www.tim-consultants.com/products.html

I don't trust you.

1. First post
2. claims found information praising the thermal compound but you only link to the website of the product. No benchmarks or information from other sources.

Your thermal compound might be good or might not be but there is no proof either way.
m
l
October 1, 2010 4:17:20 PM

Best is Shin Etsu or IC Diamond or MX2/3 or Indigo extreme (insanely expensive and hard to apply).
m
l
October 1, 2010 6:50:09 PM

I used to be AC5 myself now IC Diamond is my new top favorite I have tested against AS5 and it was 3 to 5 C difference between the two not alot but every degree counts.
m
l
October 1, 2010 6:59:25 PM

Best answer selected by jonpaul37.
m
l
October 6, 2010 3:18:13 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Best is Shin Etsu or IC Diamond or MX2/3 or Indigo extreme (insanely expensive and hard to apply).
a bit off topic, I recently aquired 3 old tubes of shin etsu, with the red cap on the end.
Do you happen to know:
which model of shin etsu is the one with the red lid?
and if it is supposed to be thick or if my stuff may have dried out?

there seem to be various models and I think I have the not as good shin etsu

regardless, it still tested pretty good, performing about 2*C lower than the new bottle of mx-2 I have and I'll be using it for anything but my own "good" systems (ie old systems, other's system)
m
l
October 6, 2010 8:59:11 PM

^ They all usually have a red cap.... it could be X23-7762 or G751 or something else. Can't really tell. By the looks of it you have the "older" version of the Shin Etsu.
m
l
!