Heatsink Incompatability?

LosingTradition

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I recently bought the AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban 1055T, and the ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard. The processor fit well, but when I tried to apply the stock heatsink, it will simply not attach to the plastic attachments on the motherboard. Am I doing something wrong or are these parts incompatible or faulty? This is my first build, please help.

LosingTradition

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks for the reply, I made sure that the latch mechanism was completely unlocked, but even then both of the latches seem as though they aren't long enough to reach the bracket on the motherboard, I am guessing that it won't fit and that I'll have to buy a 3rd party one, though I am a n00b so I could be doing something else wrong.

^you must be doing something wrong.
Attach one of the latches. Then hold the heatsink against the CPU. If the other latch doesn't reach, swing the lock in the other direction and it should reach.
If this doesn't work, can you provide any photos of your attempts?

LosingTradition

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
99999.jpg
[/img]

Sorry it took so long to upload a photo, I know the quality is bad, but I tried to point out the problem. The latch on the other side is fully attached, the one shown with the lever mechanism is not and can not reach the bracket even when the lever is fully in the unlocked position and the heatsink is being held against the CPU. I don't understand why it will not fit. The motherboard is made for AM3 processors. Will I be required to buy a different heatsink?

Jiggle it.

(seriously :lol: )

You don't need a new heatsink.

You are dealing with a three-piece bracket that is in the shape of a *|_|*. At first it may seem awkward to fit the final slot over the notch but with experience you will learn to laugh at yourself (and appreciate how well the mechanism actually works).

It may be as simple as a slight tug, or holding the opposite slot 'snuggly' inside the notch and gently pushing the top of the bracket in the direction of the pesky latch/slot/notch.

Hmm. Interesting.
Yeah try jiggling it.
Have you tried pushing down on the metal bracket? it doesn't look far off.

LosingTradition

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Yes I have tried jiggling it, as well as pushing down on the metal bracket. At this point I am afraid the only possible way to get it on there is to potentially bend the metal bracket or crack the motherboard, It will not give enough to attach. :( There has to be something completely simple and stupid that I am doing wrong.