Closed Solved

New computer, Still no Crysis...

Hey guys, I have been at building/ upgrading my computer for a couple months, and I've been asking people what's been bottlenecking my system, etc... but now that i have a new cpu, more ram, better gpu, and new motherboard, my fps in crysis hasn't improved... my specs are below, in my description, but I don't get it! I play at 1024x768, all sound stutters have stopped and physics aren't laggy anymore, but I hover around 29fps still! I play at all very high, at the above mentioned resolution. All my other games are great too... Battlefield Bad Company 2 @ ~40 fps, Dirt 2 @ 60-90 fps, and Fallout 3 at waay too many fps :) but I don't know what's up with Crysis! Is there some tweak for ATI cards that would help my fps in game?
54 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer crysis
  1. Crysis is still very demanding.
  2. I was under the impression that Crysis is CPU intensive
  3. Increase your resolution. At 1024*768 your CPU is a bottle neck. For the GPU to kick in try at least 1280*1024 or higher resolution with less detail.
  4. CPU and GPU do matter for Crysis, benchmark http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_5770_PCS_Plus_Plus/10.html
    Maybe little lower details will give better gaming experience!
  5. Shadow703793 said:
    Increase your resolution. At 1024*768 your CPU is a bottle neck. For the GPU to kick in try at least 1280*1024 or higher resolution with less detail.
    Yeah, but my Phenom II x4 965 is only running at 46%... I can't be CPU limited.
  6. rolli59 said:
    CPU and GPU do matter for Crysis, benchmark http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_5770_PCS_Plus_Plus/10.html
    Maybe little lower details will give better gaming experience!

That benchmark shows the 5770 running at 45 FPS at my resolution... even on high settings instead of very high, I still get only 33fps... this is frustrating me out of my mind. [:bilbat:3]
  7. You really need another 5770, I get a average of 45 fps with a i7 960 and 2 GTX 480s @ 1920 x 1200 1AA...

I would say its very demanding considering I get higher fps in metro 2033 maxed out. Crysis relies more on the gpu then cpu by far.
  8. can you check to see if all the cores are working
  9. that's the thing... i checked affinity and crysis is supposed to use all 4 cores, but when I have task manager open it only uses 1 core at 100% and the others at about 5%-10%... in other games, the usage is spread evenly across all 4 cores... the processor isn't defective... I just don't think crysis knows how to utilize it.
  10. Martin 71 said:
    That benchmark shows the 5770 running at 45 FPS at my resolution... even on high settings instead of very high, I still get only 33fps... this is frustrating me out of my mind. [:bilbat:3]

I7 920 @3.8Ghz has something to do with that. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_5770_PCS_Plus_Plus/5.html
    As pointed out at lower resolution the game is going to rely more on the CPU
  11. I copied this from NV news.net
    Next I'll be checking the scaling with the CPU @ 333x9=3.0GHz:cool:
    CPU @ 333x9=3000MHz
    PCIe @ 100MHz
    RAM @ 800MHz 4-4-4-12 T2

1 Core
    0.09/17.46/45.47

2 Cores native
    20.18/36.12/47.47

2 Cores non-native
    22.11/36.98/47.24

3 Cores
    19.87/36.38/48.76

4 Cores
    20.36/36.28/46.31
  12. I saw this in a more recent game...

Splinter Cell Conviction! I set affinity and manually made all the cores active; did you do the same? Do not expect a huge performance gain with a single 5770 even at gamer settings. Did you try crysis warhead?
  13. Best answer
    start the Game, hit the windows key, or ctl,alt,del, get to the windows explore and find Crysis.exe,

right click
    Set Priority = Real Time
    Set Affinity =
    how many cores you want to work, but there is some chatter that more than 2 cores can cause sound problems
  14. rolli59 said:
    I7 920 @3.8Ghz has something to do with that. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_5770_PCS_Plus_Plus/5.html
    As pointed out at lower resolution the game is going to rely more on the CPU
    I didn't think there was a very large performance difference between the Phenom II @ 3.4 and the i7 @ 3.8... i just figured that the 400mhz weren't worth minding.... the only other huge difference between the test rig and mine is the memory speed and timings... my memory runs at 667 mhz, while the test rigs runs at ~1600 mhz... I heard that this doesn't make a difference in frame rate... does it?
  15. I7 does more per clock cycle than phenom II so direct clock comparison does not work I7 920 at stock clocks wins against 965. A quick overclock on your 965 will give you better results.
  16. yeah, but I don't want to mess up my 1 year warranty... whatever... I'll just play games that were coded correctly.
  17. Martin 71 said:
    yeah, but I don't want to mess up my 1 year warranty... whatever... I'll just play games that were coded correctly.

yes crysis is a very badly coded game, i mean like over 1million lines of code, it is just a system hog. The game should run fine even on an 8800 hardware but down to the codeing it might as well be still in beta test stage :??: i really hope they sort this for crysis 2
  18. who cares crysis is old and bORING
  19. zhemin said:
    who cares crysis is old and bORING

If it is boring to you, then why you are posting? :pfff:

Please, if you dont have anything useful to say to help with the problem then dont comment and move along. It just better that way.

Anyways, has other people stated. with your low resolution, the cpu is most likely the bottleneck.

Other people have mentioned overclocking the cpu, have you tried turning up AA? it may put more work back on the gpu.

Also try updating the video drivers to the latest. See if that helps.
  20. Pokemon > Crysis
  21. Crysis Warhead runs way better than Crysis. With a single 5850 I was running Crysis in High detail, 4xAA around 45fps. Now I have crossfire 5850s, running Crysis at Very High 2xAA nets around 55fps, while Crysis Warhead at Enthusiast (highest) 4xAA runs at least 55fps (got warhead after the 2nd 5850). Metro 2033 also runs around 50fps at max settings. This is at 1920x1080. IMO the 5770 just doesn't have the juice for max settings Crysis, but the game will still look great at High detail 2xAA and should run fairly smooth. A 5770 just really can't cope with very high in that game...
    I ran a bunch of benchmarks, a single 5850 OCed to 875/1200 runs Crysis at Very High, 1920x1080 4xAA at average 32fps, while crossfire 5850s at the same OC run average 52. Just lower it to High and you'll gain at least 10 fps, and putting the AA from 4x to 2x will also gain some FPS unless you're seeing a cpu bottleneck, but I doubt that's happening.
  22. zhemin said:
    Pokemon > Crysis

Please don't troll. Crysis is a great game which many FPS lovers enjoy. If you don't like it, that's fine. But not only is the quality of the game irrelevant to this thread, but you're also being unnecessarily disruptive. I have zero liking of Pokemon, but it's not my place to point that out. If you like it, go have fun catching them all and leave us to discuss hardware and game settings in the hope of helping the OP out or at least explaining the case.
  23. i dunno but crysis is pretty MoST BORING FPS even FPS made in the 90s is far superior like quake and doom
  24. zhemin said:
    i dunno but crysis is pretty MoST BORING FPS even FPS made in the 90s is far superior like quake and doom

thats not the point, he didnt ask for your opinion of the game, he asked for help with preformance you double troll.
  25. OH your from England,Trolls
  26. also with ati card make sure in ccc that the anti-aliasing is set to application controlled other wise if set off it is actually default to 2x msaa, this really crippled my crysis preformance, helps abit but every frame you can get counts with crysis. also drop sound to medium as it barely makes a difference to quality but taxes the cpu abit more.
  27. Okay, guys, I don't see why all of you are blaming the cpu... I've got the 3rd best Phenom on the market... and the best phenom when it comes to gaming 'cause most games don't use 6 threads... My Phenom runs at under 50% the whole time... but my gpu runs at 71%-80%... and I'm also wondering how to fix that... and by the way, upping the resolution didn't do anything for my fps... in fact, it made it worse :/ also, what is an OP?
  28. Original Post(er)
  29. I have to tell you ...I have one the 5770 it is not that powerful of a card
    on warhead with my 5300 @4.1GHZ and 5770 core 950 I pull about 30 frames average with no AA all enthusiast except shadows and physics dx9
    so perhaps you are expecting to much ?
  30. 1. What is the OP's specs anyways?

2. Crysis relies more on the GPU than CPU

3. Try downloading the mods that make the game into "VeryHigh" graphics but with "High" frame rates.
  31. since nothing is working, Divinity 2 has kinda the same problem, to get rid of the skipping, we went to options, maxed everything started the game,went back to option and disabled HDR, then quit and then go to Start, Accessories, Run(right click, run as admin), fsutil behavior query memoryusage, should return a =0, type fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2, reboot the computer
  32. dont know if this is pertinent but wut bit(64x or 32x) are u running......might not be able to incorporate all of ur ram......might be totally off base here but wanted to help anyways
  33. Martin 71 said:
    Okay, guys, I don't see why all of you are blaming the cpu... I've got the 3rd best Phenom on the market... and the best phenom when it comes to gaming 'cause most games don't use 6 threads... My Phenom runs at under 50% the whole time... but my gpu runs at 71%-80%... and I'm also wondering how to fix that... and by the way, upping the resolution didn't do anything for my fps... in fact, it made it worse :/ also, what is an OP?

Well even though we know you have very good phenom II. it just that (if i remember right) normally with a resolution that low, cpu cant give the data fast enough to the gpu. Even a Core i(#) better IPC (instruction per clock) at stock speeds have this issue and there not always fully loaded.

So normally either increasing the cpu speed, resolution and/or the AA, will solve this but it doesn't seam to be working for you.

try the third thing that Bluescreen mentioned. see if that works and also try (if you haven't done so already and i just missed seeing this info some where) updating you're graphic card drivers.

While most of Us are focusing the on the cpu/resolution combo as the issue. Maybe if the drivers are updated, it will increase performance to the level you want it as well.

Anonymous said:
    1. What is the OP's specs anyways?

2. Crysis relies more on the GPU than CPU

3. Try downloading the mods that make the game into "VeryHigh" graphics but with "High" frame rates.

Maybe this will help with your question. ;)

From op sig:
    Quote:
    My PC: AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition, ATI HD 5770 1gb, MSI 790XT-G45, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR2 667MHZ, 500W Cooler Master PSU

And playing at resolution of 1024x768.

@zhemin

Did anyone ask about you're option of crysis or did the OP ask about should they play crysis? I didn't think so.

While i dont care for crysis and i do play pokemon (sorry guys, i am a pokemon fan :whistle: ), i dont go around saying people shouldn't do this or than and should do this or that.

Thats like someone saying to you, crysis is better than pokemon. I know plenty of people that are like that.

I dont care if someone does/dont like something. It's there option. If you think Pokemon is better than crysis. Thats you're option.

Now why do i help people if i dont care/like a game/program? because i put my personal preference to the side and i help them in any way possible. I dont care if you're a Crysis/pokemon, a RPG/FPS game, AMD/intel, an ATI/Nvidia, or an non-overclocker/overclocker fan(s). If there a problem, i want to get it fix so that person doesn't have to keep living with the problem. Once there happy, im happy.

So now as i stated before. If you're not going to help with a problem, dont comment and move along. It doesn't help anyone and only clusters a thread of useless post.
  34. bloodcrane said:
    dont know if this is pertinent but wut bit(64x or 32x) are u running......might not be able to incorporate all of ur ram......might be totally off base here but wanted to help anyways

Well wanting to help counts :)

Although crysis only need a recommended 2GB of ram and he has 4. So even if he's running 32 bit, he should have around 3GB of ram available (between his OS and crysis. So i wouldn't think that's it but then again if there update patches for the game (which i wouldn't know scene i dont play it) it may need more ram so maybe it would need 4GB to confitably fit the OS and crysis. :??:

Although im sure he running 64bit so i would guess thats not the issue. nice thinking though. ;)
  35. Shadow703793 said:
    Increase your resolution. At 1024*768 your CPU is a bottle neck. For the GPU to kick in try at least 1280*1024 or higher resolution with less detail.

I saw at least a couple responses to this effect, and thought I might clear something up.

At lower resolutions, it is true, the CPU will be stressed more than the GPU, BUT it does not cause your FPS to go lower as a result. It's just that at lower resolutions, the GPU is able to render more frames than at higher resolutions, so your CPU has to work harder to to keep up with the increased frame rate.

If your CPU becomes the bottleneck, going to higher resolutions will result in at best, the same FPS, but it won't increase FPS (unless there is a bug envolved).

Having the CPU being the bottleneck, means the CPU has hit it's limit on how fast it can perform, while the GPU is capible of doing more. Raising the resolution let's the graphics card do more, but you are still limited to the frames your CPU will allow.
  36. if you really want to see if you cpu is bottlenecked; run the demo world in conflict...
    Its the heaviest cpu based game I can think of outside supreme commander and its a older game.

I bought 2 gtx 480's and was only hitting 54 fps everything set to max (1920 x 1200) using a q9550 OC to 3.5

After upgrading my system to a i7 960, my fps went from 54 fps to over 120!

I only gained about 20 fps in crysis so that tells me that crysis is very gpu demanding!
  37. A Phenom II 965 isn't going to cause a bottleneck here, not at that low FPS. Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that he's running a 5770 at Very High settings. A 5850 can't even handle that. 2 5850s in CF runs Very High at around 50 FPS. That is, with 4xAA. The only conceivable way I can imagine a 5770 running at Very High is 0xAA and 0xAF. Otherwise just go with High, 2xAA and see how that works.
  38. Quick question: Is Crysis patched with the latest patches? I have no idea what patch level they are, last time I checked ( which was a LONG time ago) it was 1.2. Perhaps there are more recent patches. Also, what GPU driver version?
  39. Most sites use 1.2.1 for Crysis as their benchmark versions. Last I heard, that was the latest and best performing version to use.

Also, Crysis Warhead (which is an expansion to Crysis) seems to get better frame rates as they tweaked it more. ;)

Let's also keep in mind, that although he's playing at a very low resolution, the ATI 5770 is likely running in DX10 mode at the Very High setting the OP mentioned. The DX10 mode in Crysis ate up a lot more resources than the DX9 mode did. So it's not like his system is completely crippled or anything.

But at 1024x768... I think it's time to buy a new monitor. :)
  40. My single 5850 runs all on very high with a framerate vsynced at 60, it runs at 70 otherwise... and this is a res of 1920*1080 ..... I'm inclined to think it is def not the gpu, as my friend has gotten better framerates at 1920*1080 with his 5750....

Also, I agree with jerreece.... new monitor time??
  41. Bottom line is that Crysis requires a lot in terms of GPU and CPU performance. Going all the way back to the original posting, the issue is with the 5770. That class of GPU is simply not up to the task of pushing Crysis to the levels desired by Martin 71.

A 58xx or 59xx series GPU would obviously perform better, but the PC would need to have a PSU capable of powering the GPU and compensate for the additional heat generated. Adding a second 5770 in CF mode would add marginal improvements as well.

The current weak link in this system, from a Crysis standpoint is the GPU.

Recommendations to make the current config work better includes upgrading to the ATI Catalyst 10.5 drivers and making sure your motherboard chipset drivers are up to date with the most current versions available. Don't use "stock" or outdated drivers and expect great performance.

Good luck!
  42. Quantu said:
    My single 5850 runs all on very high with a framerate vsynced at 60, it runs at 70 otherwise... and this is a res of 1920*1080 ..... I'm inclined to think it is def not the gpu, as my friend has gotten better framerates at 1920*1080 with his 5750....

Also, I agree with jerreece.... new monitor time??

A single 5850 running on very high @ 60 fps at that resolution? Im finding that hard to believe considering I avg 45-50 fps on very high running 2 480's in sli...

Look at the 5970 vs 480 sli via youtube
  43. soldnickel said:
    A single 5850 running on very high @ 60 fps at that resolution? Im finding that hard to believe considering I avg 45-50 fps on very high running 2 480's in sli...

Look at the 5970 vs 480 sli via youtube

Agreed, but it might be possible with 0xAA... but who wants to do that?
  44. wolfram23 said:
    Agreed, but it might be possible with 0xAA... but who wants to do that?

I didn't have AA up all the way, but it wasn't off. IDK, but I checked multiple instances with fraps.
  45. I run a single 5850 / x4 @ 3.8Ghz w/ 1680x 1050 res and I get 35/40FPS with all settings on "Enthusiast" w/o AA or AF (goes down to about 23/25 during intense scenes "explosions" etc..). The game is just too demanding on both the CPU and GPU regardless of the resolution.

@ OP you need a bigger screen or you will need to overclock your CPU.

@ Quantu, do you have a screenshot showing the 60FPS with your current system?
  46. My test results running the Crysis benchmark:
  47. wolfram23 said:

Don't know what to tell ya, I was playing campaign @ 1920*1080 @ 60fps with a single 5850. If I hadn't sold the game because it was so godawful boring, I would attempt to duplicate and take a screenshot.
  48. Well that graph explains alot, basically impossible to get 60 frames unless you have dual 5850's or better.

In order for me to get that 35/40FPS my 5850 needs to be clocked at 1000/1275, anything less than that and my FPS drops to about 30 maybe 32 frames at the most.

49. He probably had high FPS on one map for a limited period of time.

or

He had graphical settings turned down in the Catalyst Control Center, so while the graphics may have been listed as high in game, it was not in actuality.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Crysis FPS Graphics