Is my PSU giving out?

cerpin_taxt

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hello! I recently built a new computer as follows;

GFX: Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB, stock settings.
CPU: i5-750, 3.8GHz.
RAM: 4GB A-Data DDR3
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W, ~3 yrs old

Now, to the problem. I was getting random lock ups. These lock ups would become more frequent until the point where I am now; the computer won't boot, save for safe mode. I acutally had a lock up in safe mode when I was having a lot of chrome tabs up, foobar2000 playing and windows live messenger logged on and a movie playing in MPC.

I believe this could be related to the fact that I installed 2 SATA hard drives. I can't recall it occuring before, and it didn't start at once when I installed my new hard drives. But again, I can't remember it before, and that's the only hardware change I've done.

At that point I had the system, 3 SATA-drives, 1 IDE-drive (all 7.2k rpm), 2 92mm fans, 3 120mm fans.

I reinstalled Windows as to have a clean version to check for software problems. Windows booted the first time, I proceeded to install VGA drivers and reboot. It wouldn't load past the "welcome"-screen, once more. To be fair, Windows also automatically installed some drivers. Onboard sound and PCI sound card. Alas, I don't believe that to be relevant.

I've ran memtest86+ for 7 hours, no errors. I moved my graphics card to another computer (520W no brand PSU) where I've ran FurMark, it worked. I didn't really stress the card since that doesn't seem relevant at all to my errors.

How should I continue?

Thanks,
Kevin

I don't think it is your power supply.PSU's generally cause random reset/reboot cycles when they are providing inadequate power.

You said you installed Windows, then the video drivers. Did you install the chipset drivers from the disk that came with your motherboard.

First, I'd try to borrow a similar sized PSU just to eliminate your PSU.

Remove the two newest drives.

Uninstall Chrome and use Firefox.

Stop trying to multi-task so much.

You need to simplify as much as you can, then change one thing at a time.

cerpin_taxt

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

Thing is, this is all in safe mode. Regular boots I don't get past the welcome screen. I'll try installing the chipset drivers. Thanks

cerpin_taxt

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
so I unplugged 2 hard drives and both 92mm fans. I could reinstall windows and install drivers et.c. and get stable boots. Now 5 days later I am ONCE AGAIN seeing lockups. This time around my computer keeps functioning while the monitor is frozen, I can keep using programs like TeamSpeak to communicate with my friends, but the monitor is frozen. This has since happened twice in one day.

any ideas?

Thanks.