Sign in with
Your question

Ocz Agility 3 boots in IDE but not in AHCI

Last response: in Storage
September 30, 2012 2:38:59 PM

Hello

I have an Asus 880G based mother board. I recently upgraded the
CPU to an unlocked Phenom B73. During the process I suspect
that the BIOS reset the SATA configuration to IDE and I didn't notice.
Now I notice slower speeds.

I tried setting the BIOS settings to AHCI and I get the error message
of no boot drive found. I eliminated all other drives from the boot priority.
The boot priority menu doesn't show an AHCI drive .

Is there some other configuration step I must do to get the drive
recognized as AHCI? Or am I hosed and have to reinstall windows.

Switching back to IDE - everything boots fine.

Thanks !!
a c 311 G Storage
September 30, 2012 3:07:25 PM

You can turn the msahci driver back on in the OS and it should work fine. It is a simple registry key change followed by restarting and changing the bios setting back to AHCI. Here is a list of keys depending on your Windows configuration: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/archive/index.p...

My Windows 7 install using msahci has a key address of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci and then set the value for the start key to 0 (zero), then save and exit regedit.exe, followed by the restart.
October 1, 2012 1:29:06 AM

I changed the msahci key from 3 to 0. I did not change two of the other 3 outlined in the OCZ forum. The pointer appeared to talk about RAID and that doesn't apply to me.

Changed the BIOS to AHCI from IDE. got a BSOD and failed to boot.
Had to roll back to the restore point. Any other pointers or things to check?

Thanks!
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 1, 2012 1:43:55 AM

Try to update Bios, then at the first start set it to idle, then re-start and try setting it to AHCI.
a c 311 G Storage
October 1, 2012 2:29:13 AM

lrogers287 said:
I changed the msahci key from 3 to 0. I did not change two of the other 3 outlined in the OCZ forum. The pointer appeared to talk about RAID and that doesn't apply to me.

Changed the BIOS to AHCI from IDE. got a BSOD and failed to boot.
Had to roll back to the restore point. Any other pointers or things to check?

Thanks!

No that (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
and set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)) always works IF your OS is using the msahci.sys driver, and you save the changes before exiting regedit -- that is the only key you need to change, assuming that your SSD is on the main SATA controller; I've done it many dozens of times. Are you absolutely sure that you saved the start key change to zero before the reboot? If so, it is odd that you could restart in IDE mode and change the key back if that key was being used, although the pciide key could have still been zero instead of 3.

The only thing that I can think of is that your machine is an AMD board and may be using the AMD AHCI driver instead of the Microsoft driver, which I think is amd_sata.sys but I have not made such changes for that driver so I am not certain of the result.
a c 112 G Storage
October 1, 2012 2:52:50 AM

Agree. Most time is work and if you want uninstall the AMD SATA driver, then use the default msahci.

If you still don't get it, check the link for the detail and go to "Let me fix it myself", if still don't work try let MSFT :Fix it for me".
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976#method1
!