Storage Options

pm8546

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
I am putting together my list of components for my new PC build. I am now trying to decide what I want to do with storage for all my files, and programs etc. I am going with an SSD for my OS, I am not sure what to do about HD’s.

Should I have just one HD or is it best to get 2 and do a Raid configuration or something? I will have a hot swap bay for backing everything up on an HD
Should I also install my programs (Software) on the SSD?

Thank you for your time…

Solution
Then raid 1(mirror) would be what you want. If either drive failed, you would still have access to your data. I just wanted to make sure you weren't overlooking the need for a backup.
If you're getting a decently-sized SSD (128gb or larger), you should definitely put your programs on it. This applies most to programs with significant, annoying startup times like games and Photoshop.
Since you'll be putting your programs and OS on your SSD—I assume you do have the budget for a good-sized one, as you're considering HDD RAID—you don't need to worry about the speed of the HDD. It'll contain data for which speed doesn't really matter, like media files and documents. Just get any cheap 7200rpm drive. This one's fine, and it's currently the cheapest on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

pm8546

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
I am looking at the Crucial 256 GB SSD and yes I use PS and Lr4 so my plan was to put as much as I can on the SSD.

Can you explain a little on which RAID config would be best and size of HDD to use?

Thanks again.

You shouldn't use any RAID configuration, because you don't need to worry about HDD speed.
The size of the HDD depends on how much media you have, mostly. If you don't collect video files, you'll almost certainly never go over 1tb, so just get the one linked above. Smaller HDDs aren't much cheaper.

What is cloning the drive going to accomplish? You could easily set up a mirror if all you want is hardware redundancy. This is not a backup. backups need to be to something external - or removable, and possibly kept off-site for real catastrophic(as in the building burns down) protection of data.